chapter one: going to maine

author's note: thanks for choosing to read this lolz. at first i was wondering whether to make this a richie x reader or a richie x oc. i decided oc to maybe make it more unique idk lol. but if you prefer x reader fanfics, you can just imagine you are lee :) and comment if you prefer reader or oc more so i know for future works. this is gonna have angst and horror involved (warning if you didn't read the description). also at the beginning of some chapters, i'm gonna leave song suggestions to listen to whilst reading!! :)

song(s) to listen to while reading: everybody wants to rule the world by tears for fears

oklahoma gas station || 1988

lee reed woke up from the car stereo blasting at almost max volume.

"baby, i'm sorry." said lee's mom, penelope.

"how much longer?" asked lee.

"we still have a while. why don't you head into the gas station and get me a drink. here's some money."

she put some coins in lee's hand and lee headed into the station. anxiety shot into lee as she walked into the cold store.

she headed to the pop dispensers and put a cup under a dispenser. nothing was coming out for the first few seconds. she turned to look for a worker but no one was around.

suddenly, a thick red liquid gushed from the dispenser into the cup. then, all of the other dispensers were gushing the blood as well.

lee felt like throwing up and she ran to the front cash register. a cashier was standing there even though no one was around a few seconds ago. 

"hey!!" lee screamed at the top of her lungs. "hey, what the fuck!! your machine needs fixed!"

then, lee stopped screaming. because the cashier didn't seem normal. the cashier slowly distorted into something that almost looked like a...clown.

"a...clown?" lee whispered. fear went through her body.

then, the gas station door swung open and it was penelope standing there.

lee looked back to the cashier and the clown was gone. it was just a normal teenager working. she also looked back to the pop dispensers and they were as well normal.

"what is the matter, lee?!" her mom yelled and ran to the pop dispenser as soda was running everywhere.

lee looked to the teen working and the teen said, "did you do that?"

lee through the money to him and ran back outside towards the car.

her mom got into the car and asked, "what the heck is wrong?! what was going on?"

"just...don't let it bother you. it was nothing." said lee.

her legs were shaking from something...fear.

"you forgot to grab me a straw." penelope said as lee tried to let sleep overtake. maybe she would forget about the incident when she woke up.