"Why yes, we will see you all there." Lady Richmond confirmed. "Miss Bentley, Lady Bridgerton." She nodded her head at them both and they walked their separate ways. 

Once back in the carriage, Violet broke the silence. 

"Is that true, about your mother?" 

"Of course not. But we all know her affection for that piece of jewelry." Abigail confirmed with a wink towards Eloise. And if she wasn't mistaken, she saw a sort of proud smile appear on Violet's face.

While there is no parasol in the world strong enough to shelter a ruined woman, the fallen Miss Thompson can only hope she shall find a refuge... somewhere.

"Miss Thompson must be in agonies over these lies. Why can I not visit her?" Colin protested from his spot, standing in the parlor. 

All the Bridgerton men were about the parlor with Abigail and Violet each on a couch opposite each other. Abigail attempted to leave earlier, understanding this was a family situation, but Colin had stopped her. He insisted she was the only one who had ever been kind to him about his engagement with Marina, and he wanted her there. Plus, after the display at the modiste that day, Violet insisted she stay as well. 

"Colin—" Violet started but was interrupted. 

"Listen to me, brother. That the ton devours every bit of Whistledown's on-dis is the only thing keeping this family from shame. Because of her column, no one believes you are the father of Miss Thompson's child. But if you are to go near her, then they will presume you responsible for her ruin, and all your sisters will pay the price for your notoriety." Anthony finished explaining in the most condescending way possible. "Is this what you desire?" 

"Well of course not, but—"

Now he was interrupted, this time by the door opening. It was Daphne, and while she technically looked fine, something about her seemed off, strained even. 

"Evening, everyone."

"Dearest!" Violet, exclaimed and stood.

"What are you doing here, Daph? Should you not be frolicking in newlywed bliss?" Anthony questioned from behind Abigail's couch. 

"I came as swiftly as our carriage would allow when I heard the news. Oh, Abby hello!" She made a beeline for Abigail, pulling her up and into a hug, to which Abby gratefully reciprocated. 

"You left in the middle of your honeymoon?" Anthony questioned further. 

"Hastings must surely be cursing the Bridgerton name for this." Benedict joked. 

Though he said it light-heartedly, it was clear Daphne did not take it so. 

"Where is he, anyhow?" 

"He went to set up Hastings House." She replied, simply. 

"We have all things in order sister, we do not require your assistance." Anthony insisted. 

Abby finally chimed in, turning slightly to see him. 

"Well that is simply not true, and you know it. Daphne may be the answer to all of our problems." 

Anthony gave her an annoyed look to which she replied with one of her own. It was fascinating, they weren't even married yet and they still were managing silent communication. 

"Abigail is right. Once the ton sees that we still have the favor of the Duke and Duchess, then the whispers may very well cease, and we shall go about our daily lives as if nothing has happened. As if nothing is awry." Violet looked pleased once again. 

"And no one will be the wiser." Daphne added, barely hiding the bitterness apparent in her tone. "Pretending that nothing is amiss is the perfect way to lure the ignorant into submission. Is it not, Mama?" 

Violet looked taken aback, evidently not understanding what Daphne was referring to. But Abigail thought she had a pretty good idea. 

"Now, what grand event will the ton be descending upon this week? Surely there is something." Daphne changed the subject. 

Violet cleared her throat, still off guard. 

"The uh... The Queen is hosting a luncheon." 

"I am certain the Duke and I can secure an invitation. If we are lucky, our return to London will give everyone so much to talk about they simply will have no breath left to discuss other matters."

Finally, Colin piped up, angry. 

"I'm so very glad this has all been settled on my behalf." And with that, he stormed off, slamming the door on his way out. 

Daphne spared a glance around the room and swiftly followed him out. Soon, Benedict followed and only Anthony, Abigail and Violet were left in the room. 

With her mind in other places, Abigail nearly jumped when she felt Anthony's hand softly rest on her shoulder. Reaching subconsciously for it, she looked back and met his eyes. They flitted forward to his mother and back to her. Understanding the message, she looked over towards Violet, who was clearly lost in her own thoughts, then met Anthony's gaze once more and nodded. 

"Um, Violet." She began, gently, catching her attention. "I know you have quite a bit on your mind at the moment, but I have something to tell you... um..." She looked towards Anthony who was making his way round the couch. 

"Actually, we have something to tell you. You might want to sit." 

And so she did. Anthony sat as well, next to Abby.

"It's like this..." Abby started, but trailed off, not knowing how to go about it. 

"Mother, a short while ago I asked for Abigail's hand." 

He slipped his left one into her right and she instantly felt comfort wash over her. 

"And I accepted." She finished. 

They both sat there, waiting. For some reaction, any reaction. But the woman stayed still. In fact, her eyes had wandered off, no longer looking at either of them. Anthony and Abby both exchanged glances, not knowing if this was good or bad. 

Just about when Abigail was going to say something else, Violet let out a laugh. A large, joyous and boisterous laugh. She covered her mouth with her hands and shut her eyes, as if praying this were true. 

"Oh thank God." She finally said. "Anthony had been on my list of worries for a very long time and... oh! This is just wonderful!" She stood up and went to hug her son first. "Oh I'm so happy for you my dear." She whispered to him, then turned to his fiancé. "For both of you." And she immediately met Abby in a hug as well. 

Abigail felt everything at once: warmth, joy, and most of all relief. This was the best possible reaction they could have hoped for. 

"But, oh, I'm sorry. We'll have to wait until this whole scandal blows over, but then we can finally announce it. In the meantime, we'll tell the family tomorrow. Oh this is just what I needed!" 

Violet then left the room, still laughing. And once she could be heard no more, Anthony and Abigail turned towards each other. Both still looked stunned, but then, much like Violet's reaction, they burst into laughter. Anthony immediately swooped down and swept her off the floor, spinning around. This was going to happen, finally.