I looked across the table at the fair lady, weighing her reaction. Even though her husband had been dead these last ten years, she hadn't seemed to overcome her grief even now. I wished I knew more about what happened that day Ulfric marched into the castle and challenged our High King to a deadly duel. Each side had a twisted view on the events, making it difficult to see who was truly in the right.

It didn't matter; in the end a young woman was widowed, all for a senseless grab for power. Torygg's death would've been for nothing, had I not come to wage war on our true enemy: the Thalmor.

If Elisif had wanted to become High Queen, she would've fought for her right to sit on the throne. Judging by the subdued look on her face, she had no desire to take the throne, though I felt she would protest strongly if Ulfric made his stake at the throne.

Which brought me to my former Jarl and one of my advisors. His battle prowess had been crucial to my fight, but was that enough to earn him my support? After all, this was the man who had challenged our High King in a fight Ulfric knew Torygg couldn't win. An honorable victory, or regicide? Torygg and I were about the same age, and he had been brought up in a cushy life, held up to the throne thanks to his father, High King Istlod. He was a man who never stood a chance against the Greybeards' student, the son of the Great Bear of Windhelm, Ulfric Stormcloak.

Ulfric would have the resolve to keep the Thalmor out of Skyrim, but at what cost? He was a man born for war. He thrived off the conflict. The last thing I wanted was a High King who pitted us in battle against even our allies.

So that left Igmund and Balgruuf. I knew little about Igmund, but if the state of his city was any indication, I doubted he knew how to run the entire province. Forsworn attacked freely, the people felt endangered, and what did he do? Hosted the Thalmor in his courts until they proved to be useless? Bided his time until he could seize more power? I doubted I wanted a man who so openly welcomed those Aldmeri agents into his city with little resistance.

I had no doubt he hated the elven bastards now, but anyone who had past dealings with the Thalmor couldn't be counted on to rule Skyrim.

"I say it's time for lunch," said Balgruuf, breaking up the shouting match the other Jarls had resumed while I was deep in thought. "We'll reconvene when our bellies are full."

Everyone else stood up and left in a hurry, but with my center of balance changing by the week, it took a matter of gripping the table, scooting the chair back a little at a time, and readjusting until I was finally on my feet. By the time I was upright, I was winded. This child was going to exhaust me worse than the twins did.

Then again, I was seven years older than I was when I had my first children.

"You were looking a little pale," said Balgruuf as he offered his arm for me to lean on. "Are you all right, Ylva?"

"I'll be fine," I replied, nodding in thanks for his support. "This is just a little overwhelming."

"Cooler heads will prevail once they get a chance to drink and eat together."

"Will I have to remain here?"

He shook his head. "Find your husband and children. We'll send for you when we're ready to reconvene."

-------

"So, nothing has been accomplished? In four hours?"

I shook my head, taking another ravenous bite out of the flaky bread the Blue Palace chefs had prepared for us.

While the talk in the Moot may have been frustrating, the spread of food in front of us was more than enough to make up for the bickering I'd sat through.