"What do you think the message is?" Kie asks John B, turning the attention back to the mission.

"Redfield. Redfield Lighthouse. That's my dads favourite place."

***

We pull up and park in front of a white picket fence that's blocking us from driving up closer to the lighthouse. Everyone hops out of the van to talk about who's going in and who's staying behind.

"Right. You're gonna post up and look out for bogeys, okay?" John B says to JJ

"Wait, why me?" JJ asks, not looking all that happy with having to stay behind.

"Because you're not coming." Pope says

"Why?" JJ asks again

"There are independent and dependent variables. You're independent. We don't know what you'll do."

JJ starts arguing back, getting into Popes face. There really wasn't any other way for Pope to say it that wouldn't result in the same reaction from JJ.

"Listen to me for a second. Pope, you stand look out with JJ, okay? If we get split up, we meet back at JJ's house." John B intervenes.

"I'll stay too. I don't trust these two not to rip each others heads off." I say

Kie and John B walk away, leaving the three of us to bide our time until they get back.

"I'm gonna work on my merit scholarship essay, and I'm trying to keep felonies to a minimum." Pope says

JJ starts playing with a hacky sack, "All right, would you just shut up already?"

"Both of you shut up." I say, moving from my spot against the van to go and sit against a near by tree.

A few minutes go by and the boys are no longer fighting and are now tossing the hacky sack back and forth. I decide to move from my spot against the tree, my butt getting numb from sitting on the ground. I walk over to JJ and lean my arm on his shoulder, well, the best that I can with my 5'2 stature anyways.

"If you guys were going to be stuck on a deserted island with one person, who would it be?" I ask

JJ answers almost immediately, "Dora. That bitch has got everything in her backpack."

"Why do i feel like you've thought about this before. How about you Pope? Who would you bring?"

He goes to answer but stops upon the sound of sirens approaching. We don't waste any time and rush into the van, JJ taking the drivers seat and Pope in the passenger.

"Why am I always the one who's stuck in the back?"

***

Even though the plan was to meet up at JJs place in case we got separated, I asked JJ to drop me off at home instead. It's been a long day and Zari messaged me earlier saying she had something important to tell me and is waiting for me at my house.

I walk through my front door and head towards the kitchen for a much needed snack. There, I see Zari sitting on the counter eating a s'mores pop tart.