Talia perked up slightly, pushing herself up in her bed. "Cap?"

"Yeah," Sam continued, picking at the green jello cup Bruce had put beside her bed as both a joke and to encourage her to eat. "He's still out there now actually. Co-ordinating the police search for that psycho ex and his minions. Said he wanted to make sure it was done."

Before she could respond Nat and Bruce were back at the door, holding another tray of food and smiling sweetly at her, like she was a frail little bird that needed protecting.

*

"Talia?" His voice was low and raspy, like sandpaper was scraping through his throat with every attempted utterance.

Her eyes snapped open as she lurched forwards, instantly reaching for his hand and grabbing it tightly.

"Bucky! Oh thank God." Tears pooled in her eyes as relief took hold. "How are you feeling?"

Bucky gave a weak smile as his eyes opened slowly. "Not too great Little Widow." He groaned as he tried to sit up. "You okay?" His eyes ran over her from head to toe, he looked at how she sat hunched over but still upright, holding on to his hand. She seemed okay.

"I'm fine Bucky." She brushed away a stray tear. "You scared the hell out of me though and to be perfectly blunt with you Wiener Soldier, if you ever scare me like that again, I will kill you myself, you got that?" She laughed as he grinned at her, closing his eyes as his head lay back on the pillow.

"Okay," he chuckled, "I'll try not to almost die for you again Doll."

Talia reached up to his hair and gently pushed it back from his face, running her fingers through it the same way Natasha had done for her when she was young and afraid, soothing him as he gave in to the pull of his post operation drug induced haze of exhaustion.

"Good." She sniffled as she watched his chest fall into the steady rhythm of sleep. "Now rest up Wiener Soldier. You need to get better."

In the doorway Steve stood watching. He watched as Talia wiped away her tears, her fingers running through Bucky's hair over and over as he drifted to sleep and his chest felt heavier with every passing second.

He told himself it was okay. He told himself that if things had changed then he would be okay with it. He just needed to know.

"Hey Runaway," he whispered as he stepped into the room and her eyes, those beautiful sea green eyes, met his in an instant. His heart ached as he looked at her. He wanted to hold her, to never let go, to make sure she was real and then hold her safely in his arms for the rest of eternity.

Talia's eyes prickled with tears as Steve approached her. He was still covered in soot and ash, his white vest stained in sweat and dirt from hours of searching the rubble for the men who had taken her, still in his Captain suit trousers. She pulled her hand back and found herself moving towards him, slowly trying to make her way around Bucky's bed as she began to realise how weak she had become without food and sleep.

"Hey Icepop."

Her smile was sad but sweet and Steve wanted to kiss away her pain. His eyes ran over her body slowly, meticulously, searching for signs of pain. He noticed how she didn't stand straight, hunching slightly to the left, and her hand hovered over her stomach. She was masking it well; only the tiniest, most subtle details giving it away, but she was in pain.

"You need to rest Talia," he made his way towards her, stopping her from moving any further. "I can stay with Bucky if you want someone with him." Steve pulled his eyes from her to look over at where Bucky lay sleeping and he sighed.

"Hey," Talia stumbled forwards again. "He's okay. I'm okay. What's wrong?"

He looked back at her. He looked at the fresh bruises against her skin; covering her face, her arms, her neck. He knew that under the jumper she now wore her stomach would be bruised, her back too. He loathed himself for not protecting her. Not keeping her safe. Bucky did though.

She watched as he grew more distant, sadder with every passing second and his eyes flickered between Bucky and her. He frowned as he looked towards the floor and Talia could feel her heart in her stomach. He was worried, not just about her kidnap, but about her feelings too.

"Steve," she pushed herself forwards again, hoping to close the distance between them as she spoke. "I missed you."

Those three words were magic to him. They were gold dust in a sea of darkness. They were hope and peace and calm. He took the last two steps to close the distance between them and gently took her face in his hands. His icy blue eyes stared deep into hers as his fingers brushed softly against her cheeks. Touching her face, brushing against her hair as he wove one hand through it and against the back of her neck, it all told him she was real. She was there. He wasn't dreaming it.

His lips brushed against hers with the softest of touches and she felt the worry and tension and fear melt away. With him she was safe.

With him she was home.

When he pulled away his hands brushed across her shoulders, down her arms, around her waist. He needed to keep his hands on her.

"I was so scared Talia." He sighed as she leant in against him, wrapping her arms around him. "I woke up and you were gone but your note was there and I was fine, but then you didn't come back Talia and I - I -"

"I know Steve," she murmured, her voice thick with fear. "I was scared too. But I'm home now. I'm with you."

She pulled back to look at him and brought her fingers up to his face. She stroked the stubble along his jaw, her thumb tracing against his lips as she smiled up at him. She pushed herself onto her tiptoes so that she could kiss him. He smiled softly and met her half way, snaking his arms around her to support her, careful not to hold her too tight out of fear of hurting her.

Kissing him was soothing and calming and it brought her joy. She felt nothing but safety and peace and he felt adoration and longing. He longed for her in every way.

As they lost themselves in the relief of their connection, the bliss of being together, neither of them noticed their sleeping companion begin to stir, and neither of them noticed the broad shouldered man standing in the doorway to the room.