Punishment

The room was  deathly silent. Not a single person was there without a look of concern. Laufey even looked depressed. You didn't know what the punishment was, but it sure did not look good.

"Erm, Odin? What are we being charged for?" Loki asked cautiously.

"Treason against Asgard. You brought enemies to Asgard and Thor started an interplanetary war." Odin said, voice cracking. "And the Asgardian penalty for treason...is death by beheading."

Loki turned pale. Thor stood there frozen with shock. The room was deadly silent. Then Loki had an idea. "What about the Jotun punishment?"

Laufey had a grievous look to his eyes as he turned to Loki. "When we had access to the other realms, the punishment was to go to Muspelheim. Then the person would have to make their way all the way around Muspelheim to find the portal out. If they can survive that, they would be free to go. Otherwise, they would perish in the flames. Unfortunately, when we were cut from the other realms, the punishment changed to death. No one ever made it out of Muspelheim anyway."

Loki had a look of hope in his eyes. "Well then, we won't die! The other half of the original treaty was access to other realms, so you can revert back to the old punishment. That means we only have to make it around Muspelheim, meaning WE ARE STAYING ALIVE!"

Thor let out a cheer. Laufey cleared his throat. "Yes, well, Muspelheim is kind of a suicide place. You said it yourself, Loki. And like I said, no one has ever made it back out of Muspelheim."

Loki glared at Laufey. "Aren't you a ray of sunshine? This is us we are talking about, remember? We have accomplished the impossible before, don't doubt us now." 

You stand and touch Loki's arm. He looks at you. You say worried, "Muspelheim is bad for Jotuns, isn't it. I told you that I studied mythology. Muspelheim is the realm of the fire demons. You will almost most definitely die."

Loki sighed and stroked your face. He bent over so no one could him say, "I am doing this for Thor. I will most likely die. But Thor had a chance. I have to do that for him."

"Even if it means giving everyone false hope?" You say, tears welling up.

"Either way, I am going to die. This way, only I will. Not Thor." Loki said, his voice sorrowful.

"You promised." You say a tear dripping down your cheek. Loki brushes it off. Before he can say anything, Frigga turns to Odin.

"Is there any other way that doesn't involve us losing our sons?" Frigga asks. "Can we not just forgive and forget? Or better yet, LET LOKI USE THE CASKET!"

"DON'T YOU THINK I WOULD IF I COULD! THOR IS MY SON TOO, FRIGGA! BUT I CANNOT TAKE THAT RISK!" Odin yells.

"WELL BECAUSE OF YOU, WE ARE BOTH GOING TO LOSE OUR SONS!" Laufey yelled back. Loki interfered.

"Hello? Man, you people have no faith in us. We can make it out alive." Loki mumbled.

You are crying hard now. Loki's eyes go wide and he wraps his arms around you. He turns to Laufey. "Can you not just leave Asgard in peace? Forget this war?"

Laufey shook his head. "It would be a great insult to our people."

Loki cursed under his breath. Everyone in the room was depressed. Sif had tears in her eyes. The warriors three were mournful in their stances. Frigga was also crying. No one seemed to want to lose the two brothers. Or Thor at least.

"When..." Loki started, choking back tears. "When do we go?"

Thor seemed a bit worried too, fearing for his and his brother's life. "I think we should go as soon as we say goodbye. The sooner we get this done, the better."

There were nods of agreement. Tears fell sadly, as last exchanges between them. Loki hugged Frigga tightly. Sif looked at Thor, tears running down her face and kissed him. Thor didn't protest, and kissed her back. The warriors three each gave their farewells, though less emotionally to Loki. Laufey awkwardly hugged his son, having to bend down and gave Thor a fond pat on the head. Sif hugged Loki. Odin pulled Thor aside but did nothing with Loki. Thor gave you a hug then left to head for the Bifrost. Loki came over to you.

"I'm sorry. I broke my promise." He says, tears running down his face. Loki pulls you into a hug. You are crying worse than Loki did when he found out he was adopted. Loki kisses you. "I love you."

"Please." You manage to whimper. You can't let Loki do this.

"I promised I wouldn't leave without saying goodbye." He kisses you again. "I love you. Goodbye..."

He turns away and runs to the Bifrost, quite upset. You try to run after him, but Sif and Frigga hold you back. You start sobbing as the man you love ran off with his brother on a suicide trip.