Chapter 14: Finale

Start from the beginning

       I began to internally curse myself for leaving Asahi with that... witch of a woman. Who knows what she could've done to him in the almost ten minutes I was gone? Hopefully nothing bad- or, nothing too bad.
The sun had already set, and it was dark, but not too dark. The streetlights turned on before I left- they were all I had to see in front of me.
       My hands shook, not because they were cold, but because I was scared. The worst thoughts ran through my head constantly, and I didn't want to imagine how Asahi was feeling. He's probably upset you left him.
       After just two long minutes, I finally arrived back at the house, being greeted by the sounds of more yelling and screaming coming from inside. I stood frozen at the bottom of the stairs. Call the police. I couldn't. I stood frozen, I couldn't reach for my phone. The sounds of desperate protests from Asahi, followed by the shouts of his mother paralyzed me.
        Suddenly, the front door burst open, making me jump backwards as the noise that was trapped inside the house aired out to the world.
        "Get out of my house!"
Asahi stumbled out the door, tripping over himself and tumbling down the concrete stairs. His mom heaved a small, half-opened suitcase down after him. She's kicking him out?! Unfolded clothes spilled from the suitcase.
       I grabbed Asahi's arm in an attempt to pull him onto his feet so we could run away. His shoeless feet slipped against the concrete; he couldn't get up, and his mother was already descending down the steps at us, her hand enclosed in a ready fist.
       "Stop!" I let go of Asahi and held out my hands, as if that would stop her. A chorus of heavy footsteps hitting the cement behind me almost distracted me, a long with the rev of a truck engine screeching to a stop.
       "Hey- hey!" A deep voice boomed over the chaos. A man sprinted over, stepping between Asahi and his mom. Suddenly, Daichi, Suga, and Tanaka were beside me and Asahi as well. Asahi remained propped up on his elbows, leaning against me as I crouched down. He stayed still.
        "What is going on here?" The man, I assume Asahi's dad, held his arms out, stepping in the way of each time Asahi's mom tries to go around.
        "Your son was kissing that boy over there! Can you believe it?! A BOY! Our son! This is unacceptable," she ranted. I held Asahi's shoulders and gave them a light squeeze.
       "What? Is- is that why you're trying to hit him?" Asahi's dad glanced back and down at Asahi, keeping his arms raised.
       "You say that like it's not a big deal! he- he's gay!"
       "What the hell is wrong with you?! You're beating up our son, and for what? Because he kissed a guy?!"
      "He's gay!"
      "I don't care if he is gay, I care if he's happy!" He raised his voice. "And- and if you don't care about that, what really matters, then you can get out. I'm done with this, with you hating and hating and gossiping for no reason. He is our son. Our child. If you can't love him unconditionally no matter what, then you can leave!"
       For the first time since fifteen minutes ago, all was silent. I watched as Asahi's mom pulled the keys from Asahi's dad's hand, and stomped to the truck that was parked in the middle of the street. She started the engine then drove off.
        I felt Asahi shake. Or maybe I was shaking. Asahi's Dad turned around, and without hesitation held out his hands to help Asahi up.
       It was just then that I realized Asahi's tears as his dad pulled him into a hug.
---------------------------------------------------------
Asahi's POV:

       My dad released me from his embrace, keeping his hands on my shoulders. My head throbbed, and my nose was bleeding, along with my elbows and left knee from falling down the steps.
       "Hey, it's ok. It's alright," he whispered, patting me on the shoulder. He looked behind me at Nishinoya, and Suga, Daichi, and Tanaka, who I assume were still there.
I turned around to look at them. Had Nishinoya called the other three, or were they passing by coincidentally? I held the back of my head.
        "Why don't you all come inside? It's going to rain soon," Dad said, pushing me slightly towards the door. I waited for Nishinoya to take a step forward, and we walked up the stairs together into the house.