25 - I've Got Them

Start from the beginning

She bit down. Hard.

It happened within an instant. She stumbled forwards to her knees, crying as she gasped for breath. He stumbled backwards reeling with anger and destructive power as he glared at the dripping blood coming from the palm of his hand. A solid silver fist crashed through the brickwork wall. It wrapped like a snake around the neck of the sadistic creature now intent on hurting her, punishing her, and before he could register the cold vice around his throat he was pulled backwards through the wall and thrown in a limp heap down the corridor.

Bucky cried out, a deep guttural roar, as he launched Matthieu down the hall, taking a deep satisfaction in the sound of his meek and pathetic whimpers when he couldn't pull himself up. Cocking his head to the side Bucky watched as the man's arms gave way again, watched as he fell to the ground again, this time not attempting to move. A hand on his shoulder pulled him back as he took a menacing step towards his target.

"It seems as though I am ready to play my part," Zemo's voice was low, a whisper used to coax James Barnes back from the depths of wicked winter - back from the place he no longer could call his own. "Remove your girl from this place quickly James. We are done with each other now."

It took him a moment to unclench his fists, to relax his jaw, to register what Zemo was saying. Talia. He could get Talia out now. His head snapped to the hole in the wall, where Talia now stood mouth agape and eyes fixed with fear and pain as she stared at him. He reached out to her as she stumbled forwards, grabbing her hand and sighing with relief as her fingers wrapped tightly around his hand and she pulled herself closer to him. In that moment he was grateful. Grateful she was there, alive and safe with him. Grateful her fear was not because of him.

"You okay Little Widow?" His ran his eyes over her as he dragged her beside him, pushing aside the limp bodies strewn across the floor as he pulled her to their freedom. "He didn't - are you - he didn't hurt you?"

She tripped as he raced forwards, pulling at his arm with every stumble, her eyes swimming with tears as her head whipped back to the man in the long coat; the man with the self-assured smile who had spoken softly to Bucky, coaxing him back out when she had seen The Winter Soldier in his place.

"Bucky stop," she pleaded, her head spinning and her lungs burning. "Who was that? Are you okay? Bucky?" He continued to pull her forwards and she tripped again, this time almost falling on the half conscious, barely recognisable face at her feet. Jacob. Matthieu's right hand man.

"That was someone we won't be seeing again Talia." Bucky huffed as he turned yet another corner, frustrations growing as he found himself unsure of how to get out of this place. "Shit. This place is a fucking maze." He pulled her alongside him again as he pushed through another door, a glint of hope now burning in him as he registered the way the air changed in this room. There was a breeze.

"Bucky, please. I need to stop." Her voice was breathy, as she stumbled again; exhaustion threatening to consume her.

Bucky skidded to a sudden stop before her, spinning around and placing both hands on her face, pulling her focus up to him. She stared into the azure flames of his eyes as he willed her to listen to him. "I can't stop Talia. If we stop, we wont get out. That man back there? He is giving us a chance to get out, but if history is anything to go by with him then that chance ends in the next thirty seconds. We need to get out before he makes sure no one can." He paused for a brief moment, his eyes locked on hers, registering the fear and the confusion she was trying so hard to hide, before scooping her up into his arms and cradling her against his chest. He took off in a sprint, aiming for the doors directly ahead of them, knowing that if this door did not lead them out to safety then they would not get out at all.