Chapter 33: Masochism (Azusa)

Start from the beginning

"Oh wow," I breathe, gazing down at a rather handsome hunting knife that had caught my eye. "These are exquisite! May I touch them?"

"You... may..."

Eagerly, I lift the hunting knife from the box, examining the blade with a swipe of my fingertips along the hollow groove in the side. It's meant for stabbing and resisting the suction of flowing blood – a knife for finishing off game creatures.

"I know you mentioned that you collected them, but this is a rather eclectic array... you've got ceremonial and utility knives in here. Do you have them organized in any particular way?"

"These are... in this box... my favorites... Others are organized... by use," he explains haltingly, setting the box aside on a recreational table.

"Incredible," I murmur, replacing the hunting knife in favor of a lethal-looking ceremonial knife with an engraved hilt.

"Miyako..."

"Huh -hey!"

He's in my space unexpectedly, pressing in with a surprisingly manic eagerness that I hadn't expected from his timid countenance. His face, despite the sleepy droop of his eyes, is bright and eager.

"Do you like... pain?"

"Wha-? N-no! Of course not!"

"But pain... is a relief... ah, nevermind... you can inflict... your frustration upon... me. It... is no bother... please..."

"Inflict my frustration?!" I yelp, trying to back away a few more steps but find myself bumping into the wall behind me as he closes the distance.

"Yes... please do... I can take the pain..."

"I don't want to do that."

"Eve-"

"Miyako!" I correct frantically.

I really hadn't accounted for my abductor to be begging for me to inflict injury...

This doesn't feel right!

"Azusa, I don't want to hurt you cause I'm angry!"

"It's okay... you can..."

"And stay out of my space!" I yelp, smacking one of his reaching hands away as it ranged too close to my face.

He blinked a few times, then smiled absently, staring at the spot I'd struck him in a reminiscent way.

This guy...

"Azusa... seriously, I can't just hurt you cause I'm angry or frustrated."

"Why else... How else... will you hurt me...?"

"Well... uh... you like pain, then?" I ask hesitantly to an eager, yet slow nod. "Then, give me your hand."

He obeys, holding it out palm up. I flip it over instead and readjust my grip on the knife I'm holding, rolling it into my fist. I press the tip to his skin until a bead of crimson wells at the tip, then drag it over the back of his hand in a swirling script. Low, pained moans in his chest whimper out through his lips from time to time, but all in all he's quietly enduring it. When I draw the knife away, he holds the back of his hand up for inspection.

"Mukami..." he reads curiously, "Your handwriting... is exquisite..."

"It's not much, especially since I couldn't hold it properly. Do you like it?"

"Maybe... next time you can write... Eve's... your... name on it."

"Oh... m-maybe..." I agree very hesitantly.

"Please... Miyako..." he reaches gently and haltingly for my hand. I oblige, offering it to him and watching very vigilantly should he pick up a knife. Instead, he rolls it over, palm up, and inspects my wrist. "May I... have your blood...?"

"Oh... I suppose so..." I murmur, glad that he at least seemed to know how to ask nicely. That was something I'd want to encourage.

It really feels like I'm back to square one, huh?

When his teeth scrape over the delicate skin at my wrist and break through, I wince, letting out a squeak. He immediately looks to my face, curiosity stirring very pensively there. I try to flatten my expression.

"Did it... hurt?" he wonders, drawing away with a lick of his lips.

"Well, yeah."

"Did you... like it-"

"No, not really," I speak over him, "I don't mind giving my blood, generally, but I've been so uncomfortable and tense since I've arrived here. It hurts more than usual."

"More than... usual... huh?"

"Yeah."

"And... as you said... it is somewhat bitter... though... it seems that... Ruki may have... exaggerated..."

"Well, of course... I told you, it's going to taste that way as long as I'm feeling homesick. It will taste worse if I'm afraid or angry."

"Very well... then... you are a... strange woman."

"Like I said, I shouldn't appear that strange to you all just yet."

"What would... make you... happier... Miyako?"

"Well... do you have any throwing knives? I think it would be fun to practice that... maybe out in the backyard?"

"Yes... I have... a set. We can arrange... for that... activity."