Chapter Four: The Little Twerp

Start from the beginning

    “This isn’t the only place like this, Kase. You are the one that doesn’t understand. I know that even after this you’re probably going to continue to try to get me away from you, so you know what? You’re coming home with me today after school,” I opened my mouth to protest but he cut me off, “No, don’t even try to tell me no. It’s happening.”

    “I have to work after school and I’ll be there all day long,” I blurted out before he could stop me again. His eyes narrowed and I shrugged as if to say What do you want me to do?

    “Then we are skipping a little bit today,” I knew by the tone of his voice that he wasn’t going to let me go to class without at least a huge scene, if at all. I sighed and shook my head.

    “This better be worth skipping…” I trailed off without conviction. Braylin smirked knowingly and opened the door behind me making me stumble back. He laughed loudly as he leisurely glided out of the supply closet, ignoring everybody’s shocked and disgusted faces. He walked over to me and leaned against my body, still chuckling.

     I shook my head as he raised his hand while keeping his face in my chest and flipped our audience off. The disgusted faces increased and some changed into hate and right then I knew. I knew it was too late to save his reputation. To save him from their hate.

~~~~

    “Why did you want us to skip?” I said as I sat down on a park bench. We had left the school and walked to a park that was across the street.

    “I figured you’d want to know. The place I came from… It was just like this,” He sighed and sat next to me, leaning against my shoulder as if what he wanted to talk about physically drained him, “I guess you could say I was in the popular crowd. I was always one of the people that was greeted left and right. I hated it,” There was a certain venom in his voice, but I was confused.

    “You hated being loved by everybody?” I couldn’t help but ask. He tensed beside me and used his hand to turn my head so he could look me in the eyes.

    “Listen closely, Kase,” He said seriously while holding eye contact, “Just because they act like they care, doesn’t mean it’s true. It doesn’t mean they love you. It means that they want to use you to be popular. Many, many people are fake, Kase. If anything, you’re lucky that nobody really tries to talk to you like they did me because you don’t have to face the disappointment and hatred at seeing the fakes and liars. They make you think they care and that they want to be your friend and all of that bullcrap, but it hurts when you find out it’s all fake,” I was looking at him in shock and he shook his head and let go of my face to drag it down his own.

    “Nobody talking to me hurts too…” I whispered lowly.

    “Maybe, but that’s not why I wanted you to skip class. Look, when all of those people acted like they cared about me it made me believe that when I came out as gay that nobody would judge me or hurt me because of it. It lured me into a false sense of security and it made it hurt so much worse when I came out expecting everybody to accept me for who I am, and when they beat me and screamed at me it surprised me. I don’t know why I was surprised because I knew they were fake, and I hated them for pretending like they cared, but they acted like I was a god or something. I guess somewhere in my mind I believed that they wouldn’t care if I was gay. I never thought about all the times I had heard or seen other gay people getting bullied because of their preference. It never hit me until it happened to me. All of my friends? Fake,”

    “I’m sorry, Bray-”

    “I’m not done,” He interrupted, “Everybody hated me and then I realized that everybody was fake. None of them were true friend like I thought they were. I went home and my friends that were friends with my parents on Facebook had posted stuff about me being a fag and tagged my parents and I. They confronted me about it and I burst into tears and started sputtering and sobbing, and I told them that I couldn’t handle anymore hate. I rambled and said that I couldn’t take it and that I don’t want them to know that I was a queer faggot and I couldn’t take it. It was like I had forgotten that they were even listening.

“The minute that I had started crying like I was, they had gotten deathly silent in shock. Then, my dad stepped up to me and he hugged me like he never had before. He stroked my hair and buried my face in his chest and told me that he could never hate me. He told me that he and my mom would always love me,” He was smiling and squeezed my hand again, “Then I squeezed him with all I had and I sobbed harder, but it was also in relief. I managed to cry out that I couldn’t go back to that horrible school. I begged and begged if we could move, and finally my dad had to put his hand over my mouth,” He chuckled fondly and I felt a pang of jealousy, “Then two weeks later, we moved here. I was homeschooled for those two weeks while we packed and found a house to move into. When I met you, I knew I wanted to be your friend. When you handed me over to the one crowd I didn’t want to be involved in… I was furious.”

    “I’m really sorry about that, Braylin… It’s just, when I found out that you were new, I didn’t want you to be caught with me because you didn’t know what crowd- or lack of crowd- that I was in. I wanted to save you from their hatred,” I sighed and shook my head. I shouldn’t have just dragged him to my brother. I should’ve talked it through with him.

Well, now he’s never going to leave me alone, the little twerp.