As you waited for your food to arrive, you glanced at Zhongli through narrow eyes. His lips still held that informal, kind smile as he listened to the storyteller intently who had now begun a new tale of pirates and bandits.

Something in you stirred. He was so... patient. Usually, when you would ramble on and on about topics of not much interest, most people would shut you down, begging you to take a breather. But this man – he didn't look jaded at all. Instead, he was all ears to your crazy theories; you had half expected him to declare himself busy and get away from a senseless woman such as yourself.

Soon your food arrived and you dived in headfirst, the groans of your stomach becoming unbearable. Zhongli watched as you downed one bite after another, stirring his soup to let it cool.

"Say," you managed to get out between chewing, "from the way you talk and act around others, one would assume that you are highly educated. Noble even. Why did you decide to work at a funeral parlour?"

Zhongli took a spoonful of his soup, the hot contents rushing down his throat.

"If you wanted, you could have bagged any job. Maybe even among the Qixing, which would certainly pay higher than what you earn now."

Zhongli offered you a tight-lipped smile. "It's a long story; maybe some other time."

Taking the hint, you backed off, not wanting to pressure someone against their liking. Suddenly, a familiar voice called out your name from the distance, and you whipped your head in the direction of the source.

"Y/N!" A young female, stopped near your table, hands on her hips as she tried to catch her breath. From what it looked like; she had been running from your shop to the restaurant.

"Bao! What happened? Why were you running?"

Zhongli looked up to observe the stranger. "Allow me to introduce you," you motioned with your hands.

"Bao, this is Mr Zhongli, a consultant at the Wangsheng Funeral Parlour," Zhongli bowed his head in a way of greeting.

"This is Bao. She works at the jewellery shop with me. She is in charge of things when I am not around." Bao bowed as well.

"I'm sorry... I didn't realise... you were with a... customer," she huffed out, still trying to catch her breath.

"Why don't you sit down? Mr Zhongli's not a customer, he's an... acquaintance?" You looked over to Zhongli who nodded his head in agreement.

'Yes. Acquaintance. That's all she is at the moment,' he thought to himself.

You offered Bao your seat which she politely declined, claiming that she was only there to deliver the news.

"The shipment to be expected today, the Noctilucous Jade ores," she continued, "the delivery man, Xiu Ying; he returned all battled and bloody."

You raised your eyebrows. Even Zhongli heeded fixedly.

"He said that on his way over, the Hilichurls hounded him and took over the cart with the ores. He tried to fight them off but there were just too many. In the end, he had to retreat."

Your eyes were brimming with anger. Images of your parents' wounded bodies flashed before you. You put down your spoon, pivoting in your seat to face Bao.

"Where." Hostility oozed out of your voice. The sudden change in your tone caused Zhongli to shift his focus on you.

"Along the path to Wangshu Inn. Few meters up ahead the Guili Plains."

"Very well. I will head over there tonight." You returned to your meal.

"Make sure you pay Xiu Ying for his troubles. I'll drop by later to thank him personally."

Bao responded with a quick jerk of her chin, almost turning around to leave when Zhongli said, concerned, "Pardon my intrusion but, shouldn't such matters be handed over to the Guild?"

"The Guild already has a lot on their plate to deal with. It's my responsibility that the goods that I buy from the miners be brought back safely. It's sweet that you're concerned but don't fret. I can handle it."

Zhongli didn't seem convinced.

Upon noticing, you sighed, "I have a Vision," Zhongli scanned you up and down, a shining orb not visible.

"I don't use it very often. But in such circumstances, I bring it out," you explained kindly while trying to remember which bag you had packed it in.

"Yes. Don't worry Mr Zhongli. Y/N here is an expert in solving such muddles," Bao assured.

"I'll see you at the shop," Bao called out to you as she jogged away.

"I apologise for overstepping my boundaries, however, I myself am travelling to the Wangshu Inn tonight."

You raised an eyebrow.

"I am to meet with Xiao. He resides there," Zhongli explained, trying not to sound patronizing. "If it's alright with you, may I accompany you on your trip?"

You considered his words for a moment. They seemed genuine, and you realised that he wasn't trying to undermine your authority.

"Okay. Why not. Do you have a Vision?"

"Well... yes, although–" Zhongli scratched his cheek.

"Doesn't matter," you declared.

"Just don't get in my way."