Newt, Tina, Griffin, and his expecting wife Annie left the U.K. in early spring. Tina's sister Queenie, and her husband Jacob took their family in, just happy that everyone was safe.

As the months went by, things back home grew grimmer than they were aware.

One humid summer evening, they sat out back in the garden when the creek of their front gate brought them to silence. Tina stood and drew her wand, prepared to protect her family.

"I thought you had protective charms up?" started Jacob, which received a swift flick from Queenie. "It is a perfectly valid question," he murmured as he rubbed the back of his head. "Griff, why don't you get Annie inside,"

But before anyone had the chance to move, an old man in deep purple robes stepped from around the corner, a finger pressed to his lips.

At the sight of Albus Dumbledore, the family let out a collective breath. All but Tina. She remained firm, her wand trailed on the wizard. Her brows knit together as she attempted to get a better look at what he was carrying.

A small whimper came from the bundle in his arms, and Dumbledore looked to Tina. She was frozen on the spot.

"Hello Mrs. Scamander," his deep voice soaked in exhaustion. Newt stood from his seat and wrapped an arm around his wife's waist. "and Mr. Scamander, glad to see you are here as well this evening. There is a matter I would like to discuss with you, but before I begin, is it correct that you have your names listed on the Underage Wizard Relocation Registry?"

The couple remained silent, Tinas wand arm still raised if a bit shaky.

"Oh Merlin you two," Queenie snapped as she trudged forward, taking the baby into her arms. She cooed and rubbed a soft finger across the little one's cheek. When Queenie reached her sister, she firmly pushed her wand arm down and swooped in close.

"This here is Aurora Euphemia Mckinnon," she eased the infant into Tina's arms. "Guess she's yours now," she whispered. Newt rested his chin on Tina's shoulder as the couple looked down at the little girl.

"If you would have her, of course" added Dumbledore, "This is a very special child who needs to be protected at all costs. There are a few families back home that I'm sure would take her in, but to have her out of the country would be ideal."

"What happened?" Tina asked, barely above a whisper as she cradled the babe in her arms.

Dumbledore hesitated, his shoulders tensing.

A beat passed before Queenie started, "Her mum hid her, whole family murdered. The death eaters didn't know to look for the child," she locked eyes with dumbledore, but his memories had blurred edges and missing pieces. The walls of occlumency shot up within the barriers of his consciousness.

"Marlene Mckinnon, her mother, was an invaluable member of my troops. It's a shame to have lost her." Dumbledore stated, face blank, tone numb.

Queenie kept her eyes on him.

"Hello there Aurora, you're safe now," Newt hummed over his wife's shoulder.

...

Tina and Newt cared for Rory as if she was their own, and quickly realized she was quite the miraculous little witch.

By 6 months, her hair changed color based on her mood. "A metamorphmagus! A real live metamorphmagus!" Newt exclaimed when Rory's hair turned a rather putrid shade of lime green one morning.

"Remember, she is a child Newt, not one of your magical creatures to analyze" Tina prodded, mopping sick up off of her blouse.

They knew she belonged in their family, they knew she was special. They kept her name as it was given though, it only seemed right after the tragic loss.

They stayed there in New York with their relatives for a long while, feeling safer in the states than in the UK during the war.

Rolf Scamander was born in August of 1981, just months younger than Rory. The two were inseparable their whole youth. They flew toy brooms through the halls of their brownstone, stayed up at night reading The Tales of Beedle the Bard to each other, and best of all, spent countless hours with Newt and his fantastic beasts.

When Rory turned eleven in April of 1992, two letters arrived addressed to her. One was weathered parchment with a deep red wax seal, this one came from Hogwarts. The second letter was in a large, crisp blue envelope- from Ilvermorny. After many spouts of advice from her entire family (including muggle Uncle Jacob, who secretly was hoping for a reason to travel to the UK), both Rory and Rolf decided to study at Hogwarts.

There were many factors to the decision. Academics, culture, climate, and even a thorough debate on which school was more gifted in quidditch. But, to herself, Rory had always known she needed to go to Hogwarts. She knew it was the only way to learn more about her birth family.

Rolf on the other hand didn't have any deeper reasoning than that's what Rory picked.

Rory didn't talk about the hole in her gut that much. How could she after everything that Uncle Newt and Aunt Teenie had done for her? At the end of the day, they just didn't have any information on where she came from. They were too detached from the UK wizards, by no fault of their own.

Rory knew there had to be more. She knew there had to be pieces to her puzzle that were missing. Finding them meant going to the only place she knew her mother had been.

Hogwarts.

In May of 1992, Newt, Tina, and Rory moved to Dorset, England. Dorset was where Newt had always wanted to retire, with a vast and unobserved population of Diricawls residing on the coast. Of course, he would travel for work for a bit longer, but this would be their home base and could serve as one for Rory and Rolf during school holidays as well.

So much had already changed in the past months, and even more, was just on the horizon. Rory would be leaving her guardians for the first time in just a few days. She shivered at the thought, but at that moment was content just being the smallest in their pile on the desk.

Rory snapped back into reality as Hoppy the Kneazle leaped up from the desk chair and placed himself in a large lump on Rory's lap. She was fine with not being the smallest as long as it was for one of the beasts.

"Kneazles are a great-" Uncle Newt started.

"judge of character, I know" Rory finished, caressing the massive feline. She grinned up at her father figure. In his eyes, Rory saw deep, unwavering pride.