i. MISAPPROPRIATED VEHICLES

ONE

ONE.
MISAPPROPRIATED VEHICLES

( 17 YEARS LATER )

Bex Alden was so fucking screwed.

She drummed her fingers against the freezing metal of the table she was handcuffed to, humming under her breath softly. She leaned back in her chair, meeting the gaze of the man sitting across from her evenly. He saw a delinquent staring back at him, chin high and eyes filled with amusement. What he didn't see was her hands shaking beneath the table, nails digging into her palm to slow her pounding heartbeat. Still, Bex had too much pride to let him know she was terrified.

"John. Always lovely to see you. I've missed these visits. It's been a while, hasn't it?" said Bex with a half-smile.

He sighed, shuffling a few of the papers in front of him and rubbing his forehead. "No, actually it hasn't. You were in here last month for trespassing and destruction of property, remember?"

"Not really," she shrugged. "I love what you've done with the place though. It's really cozy."

She craned her neck, looking around the small metal room. "Especially that harsh fluorescent lighting. It just goes perfectly with those nice steel prison bars. You ever consider a career in interior design?"

John stared back at her, unamused. "I would, but I just love my job here," he said bitterly. "Dealing with underage felons is quite honestly the highlight of my day."

"John that's so sweet. You should write greeting for Hallmark cards. You'd be fantastic at it."

"Why do I always get the sarcastic ones?" he muttered to himself.

John coughed and straightened his ill-fitting tweed coat. He looked tired every time Bex saw him, which was far too often, with deep frown lines and sunken shadows under his eyes. He practically lived off coffee and Advil, which might explain the way his right eye always twitched. Or maybe it was because he was always annoyed with her. But she liked John, as grouchy as he could be. He put up with her shit, and he had managed to keep her out of prison. Until now.

"Miss Alden," he sighed. "I'm afraid you're going to jail."

You're going to jail.

Those words seemed to steal the air out of her lungs, making her chest tight. Bex gritted her teeth, struggling to keep her expression neutral. She took a deep breath, her pulse pounding in her ears.

"Listen, I'm sorry. Really. I can shorten your sentence, if you'll just tell me-"

"No," said Bex firmly.

"Miss Alden, it's the only deal I can offer you," said John, rubbing his temples. "The names of your accomplices in exchange for reduced time in prison. Otherwise, those handcuffs are staying on."