mouth full of toothpaste,

The next day, Stella doesn't see Harry. Or the next day. Or the one after that.

A week has gone by since she met him. Yesterday she spent a good two hours by her window, which overlooks most of the garden, in hopes that she would at least see him walking by. It's not even that she wants him to come by. All Stella literally wants is to just see him.

Two nights ago when she was having dinner, Stella asked her grandparents about Harry. At first her granddad teased her and said to go ask Harry himself that question. Stella went red in the face a little and felt a little embarrassed because he had a point. Her grandfather told her that Harry is very quiet and actually very shy. Her grandmother added that Harry also likes to come over because he likes her chicken soup.

Her grandparents have gone into town today, which is about an hour away. Though Stella insisted that she go with them, they refused and claimed they wanted her to stay at home with the dog so he wouldn't get lonely. So that's what Stella did and here she is on this Friday evening, at home reading a book in the library.

She sighs, closing her book and looking up at the ceiling. Loki the Australian shepherd, who Stella always jokes is as old as he grandparents, is laying by her feet on the couch. He isn't allowed on the couch, but it breaks Stella's heart to hear him cry because he wants to lay or sit beside her.

Deciding that she doesn't want to spend her day inside, she looks over at Loki and says, "Walk?" His head and ears immediately perk up and he jumps off the couch.

Loki follows behind her excitedly and jumping around. His tail is all over the place as she walks through the kitchen and out into the garden. Loki is very well trained and does really well without a lead so Stella doesn't bother to grab it. He never goes too far and always returns quickly when he is called.

There is a trail just off the back road that goes into the woods behind their house. Stella often takes Loki on walks there, but never goes there at night. During day light from the sun shines through the tree branches so it never gets too hot and there is a small pond at the end of the trail. In summer time wild flowers grow and they fill the air with pollen, which gives Stella horrifying allergies.

There is a tree about a mile into the walk that is carved with the initials of couples who have walked along the path. Stella doesn't know who started that or when it did, but she does know that her grandparents' initials are there. Stella often thought, when she and her ex boyfriend would walk here, of asking him to carve their initials on the tree. However he found such things to be too corny and silly, so she never ended up asking. Now all she does is walk by the tree and stare for a moment before she remembers how lonely she is.

Stella continues her walk, with Loki just ahead of her, when he comes to an abrupt stop. If Loki can see something, Stella cannot and if he can hear something, she most definitely cannot either.

She stands behind him, asking, "What is it, boy?" If asked to, Loki will attack and won't stop until he is told. However Loki doesn't seem frightened or threatened. He is curiously staring into the distance and his tail begins to wag. Before Stella can say or do anything, he bolts and is out of sight. "Loki!" She calls for him.

Off in the distance, Stella can hear another voice. "Loki! What are you doing out here, boy?"

Gentle... Soft...

Honey.

Now she can see Harry, with Loki, and he is walking toward her. In one hand Harry carries an old leather journal. He is wearing all black with a brown flat cap on his head.

"That looks familiar," Stella tells him, pointing toward his head.

"It's a gift from your grandad," he responds softly.