Chapter 14- World's Best Mom

Start from the beginning

"Khol ke toh dekho." Pari whined, irritated at the delay Jiya was making while shaking the gift and tracing her finger on the wrapping paper. She smiled at her and then at Shipra who reciprocated with a gentle grin. She opened the gift hurriedly and her eyes shone with glee at what she saw next. 

It was a beautiful memento

It was a beautiful memento. It read World's Best Mom in bold. She was lost after looking at the gift. She was amazed by the sweet gesture of the child. She opened the packaging and took out the gift. She examined it all over and Shipra's next sentence amused to the core.

"Pari has brought this with her own money. She had participated in a drawing competition and she won cash, with which she bought this." Shipra indicated her forefinger towards the gift. Jiya's eyes swept from Shipra to Pari. Instantly, she felt something in her heart. Undying love for this cute little creature. She trusted her just like her birth mother. How can someone trust a stranger this much?

But, the she realized, she was not a mere stranger to her, she was her 'Mamma' or so as the memento described. She was, according to Pari, World's Best Mother. She felt a few warm drops on her nose ring. Yes, she was crying. Crying from tears of joy. Joy because now the most considerate girl was her daughter, her official daughter. She vowed to herself that she'll not let even a single scratch on this girl's body. She would protect her throughout her life in every way she can. Her name was indeed correct. She indeed was a fairy. A fairy who had come to bless Jiya. How righteously Samarth refers to her as 'Princess', Jiya thought. 

"What happened? You aren't saying anything? And, on top of that, you're crying! Didn't you like the gift." Jiya looked at Pari, smiling through her tears. Pari's face looked as if she can break down at any moment now. Jiya engulfed her in a warm hug and placed a kiss on her forehead. Her henna filled hands, at the back of Pari's neck holding the trophy in them. Jiya broke the hug but, still held Pari close.

"Mera buddhu bachha! Mujhe kaise nahi pasand aayega? I loved it Shona! Sabse best gift hai ye meri life ka! Aaj tak mujhe aisa gift kisi ne nahi diya." Jiya's lips puckered up into a pout while a huge grin adorned Pari's face. She hugged Jiya and kissed her cheek. "You're literally the best Mamma, Jiya Aunty! Better than my birth mother." Pari pulled back and pouted, her expression angry.

"Oye, we don't say like that!" Jiya warned her, narrowing her eyes. Pari folded her hands. "She left me before I could even say a 'hi' to her. Now, tell me, isn't that mean?" Pari huffed. Jiya looked at the innocent being, fully unaware of the law of birth and death. But, who was she to blame her? She herself didn't know how Samarth's wife died. "Your mother didn't leave you bachha, it was just that---" Jiya fumbled, looking for words, she could wisely insert in the impromptu conversation.

"God is there na--" Jiya started pointing her forefinger at the ceiling, indicating the presence of God. Pari nodded, wanting her to proceed. "He called your Mother before you could say a 'hi' to her." Jiya looked at her and sighed in relief. It wasn't that difficult. "Why my mother only?" Pari was adamant. "Because she was very good and even God needs the company of good people around them, right?" Jiya went about, fixing her necklace and bangles, gazing at herself in the mirror.