Chapter 1

16 years later

            Reed, Ben, and I stood outside Von Doom Enterprises, and stared up at the 30-foot statue of Victor von Doom that was currently in progress in front of the building. One hand held a box with what I assumed were molecules, and the other held a ball shape, that had sides that were open to give it a concave look.

            “Leave it to Victor von Doom to build a statue of himself,” Ben said.

            “He always was full of himself,” I murmured.

            “Well, it’s obviously aimed at giving first time visitors a feeling of smallness, in adequacy,” Reed said.

            “Good thing it ain’t working, right,” Ben said, clapping him on the shoulder.

            “I’m not going to lie to you Reed,” I told him as we walked into the building. “I’m not comfortable with going to Victor. In college, he wasn’t interested in honest and good work.”

            “Nah, he’s into fast food, strip mall science,” Ben agreed, walking on Reed’s other side.

            “Guys, this isn’t our first stop in case you haven’t forgot,” Reed said, looing at both of us. “Besides, Victor isn’t that bad. He’s just a little… larger than life.”

            “He has a God complex,” I said, giving him a look.

            “Maybe, he’s over that,” Reed said.

            “Maybe, he’s gotten worse,” I retorted.

            “Mags, you haven’t seen him in nearly 6 years. A lot can change. You changed a ton,” Reed said.

            I gave him a look, and we walked to the desk, telling the secretary of our assistant with Victor.

***

            “My research suggests that exposure to a high energy storm might have triggered the evolution of early planetary life,” Reed said. I was off to the side with Ben, getting ready to propose more medical advantages.

            “In 6 weeks, a cloud with the same elemental profile will pass us in orbit,” Reed continued, and my part was coming soon. “A study in space could fundamentally advance our knowledge of the structure of the human geonome, cure countless diseases, extend human life, give children the chance to live longer, stronger, healthier-” Reed continued, but was interrupted by Victor.

            “Turn it off, please,” Victor said. He was sitting in the dark corner, making it hard to see his face at the head of the table.

            “I don’t believe I’ve explained my point well enough, and we haven’t even started in Margret’s expertise,” Reed said.

            “No, I think you have,” Victor said. “Same old Reed, always stretching, always reaching for the stars, with the weight of the world on his back. But dreams don’t pay the bills do they?”

            He threw a magazine towards Reed, and it was from Wired, the front page reading, “Reed Richard’s Bankrupt: Announces Grant Cutbacks.”

            Ben and I gave each other looks of annoyance. Reed had lost a substantial amount of grants, causing us to have to take out another mortgage on the Baxter Building, the grants I received not enough to keep us above water.