Chapter 12: Stone

Start from the beginning

She looks back at Ashley, who's sitting in the back playing on her tablet not paying us any attention.

"You know because I'm black," she whispers. I look at her and burst out laughing.

"Hell no, he doesn't care that you are black."

"How do you know?"

"I'm not going to answer that. I'm just going to let you see." Her eyes search my face for an answer to what I'm not saying, but I'm not giving her anything more. She will see how her race will never be an issue in this family.

🌸🌸🌸

We all jump out of the truck, the street is packed with cars lining both sides of the street. Daphany's eyes scan the neighborhood looking at all the houses. Her hoop earrings sparkle in the sunshine and I notice how young she looks with her hair pulled up differently. This is another look she should wear more often.

I ring the doorbell and a short light-skinned black guy answers the door. He's wearing an apron and has a pan of meat in his hand. I think this is Gabe's wife's brother Fabian. "What's up, bro?"

"I'm here for Gabe."

"Oh yeah come on in. Everyone is in the back. Food is almost done." Daphany's eyes flick to me. I'm sure she curious as to where we are at.

"Thanks."

We all file in one after the other. Fabian closes the door motioning with a finger the route we should take. When we walk down the hall into the kitchen we head out the glass door with Fabian following behind.

The backyard is packed with both black and white people standing around talking. A few kids are playing in the bounce house they have back here. No one is in the pool, probably because even though it's spring and like eighty-five degrees, the weather here is very unpredictable and at any moment snow could start falling.

Ashley pulls on my hand pointing at the bounce house. I nod letting go of her hand and watch her run over to be with the other kids, not at all showing any signs of shyness.

"Who are all these people?" Daphany leans over and whispers.

"This is Gabe," I point at the blond head man who has his hands wrapped around the black woman's waist. She has very long braids that hang to her butt and it looks like she may be trying to escape his pawing hands. "The guy right there and his wife's barbeque. I think it's one of her brother's birthdays."

"Oh."

"What's up Stone. Long time, no see." David, Gabe's younger brother says. We are about the same height so he's looking down at Daphany smiling brightly. "Who is this beautiful woman you have with you?"

"This is Daphany Moore."

"Awe yes. Daphany Moore with Edward and Edward Law. I knew you looked familiar. You are one of Bradford's friends. He has a picture of you and him at his home. Several pictures."

She smiles and nods. "Yes. That's me."

"I thought you were with Brad, but he kept insisting that you two were just best friends. I didn't believe him; I thought he was trying to hide you from us." She laughs. "I'm David Stephens by the way. And might I add - single." Daphany burst out laughing and I pull her closer to me.

"David go find someone else's woman to annoy."

He holds up his hand in surrender. "I'm just saying. It takes a lot of man to handle such a beautiful woman." He walks off but not before winking at Daphany.

I pull Daphany over to where Gabe is still standing now holding his wife's hand. When we get closer his eyes finally land on us. "What's up Stone. Glad you could make it." He reaches out his hand and I take it. "Baby this is my good friend Stone and his....?" His words trail off.