two

"Please, don't wake me no, don't shake me, leave me where I am, I'm only sleeping" - I'm Only Sleeping, The Beatles

//

Hadlee

Floral carpet, pink flip flops, and long dark braids.

I am walking down the hall, looking at my parents waiting by the door as they get closer. Finally i'm there with them as they usher me to the door with frantic looks to each other and around the whole living room.

I was confused. I kept asking "Daddy, where are we going?", "What's happening?", "Why are you scared?" That was until I heard the bullet.

Shooting right through my dad's forehead.

//

I shoot up on my bed with my hands gripping the sheets next to my hips. A nightmare. Again.  For the past few weeks my nightmares have been more frequent, just replaying that night on vacation from years ago. I thought they would eventually stop happening, but they are just getting more repetitive. The look on my mom's face is something I don't know that I would ever be able to forget as she watched her husband's head basically explode all over her daughter. I can't lay here any longer.

I rip the covers off my legs and swing my legs over the side of my bed. I slouch over and wipe my hands up and down my thighs waiting for my heart to stop pounding. Eventually I get up and drag my feet to my closet grabbing a pair of dark grey leggings and slip them up my bare legs, deciding to keep my black hoodie on. I go and grab my keys once again, double checking my gym membership card is still in my wallet before walking out the door, slipping on my white nike tennis shoes.

//

I pull up to the local overpriced gym and park my yellow volkswagen beetle. Working out had always been a good stress reliever that keeps my mind off whatever I want it to be off of, right now being the image of my parents being killed in front of my ten year old self. I shake my head.

"If you keep thinking about it you aren't exactly going to be able to keep your mind off it!" I say to myself as I open my car door and step out. I slam my door with a huff and quickly walk across the empt- oh. Not empty parking lot. As I scan I see a nice car parked near the front left under a steer light. That is also when I notice the lights are on in the gym which isn't exactly typical for 2 A.M.. I am always the only one in here usually at this time, but I don't let this stop me as I walk through the threshold.