𝐗𝐗: E for Execute

Start from the beginning

     " — and execute!" Noah exclaims, ignoring Kane. "Who would've thought? Look, we take out Echo, and all of our problems are solved."

     "Absolutely not," Kane says sternly. "And it won't get far enough to give them guns. Our objective is to buy time for Abby to save the King, and if you wanna help, grab a weapon, stand post."

     He directs this last part to Murphy, who hardly seems eager.

     "Take mine," Bellamy says. He hands Murphy his rifle, which Lyra knows is a big deal for Bellamy. "I got this."

     "Wait!" Lyra exclaims sharply.

     Bellamy whips around with his eyebrows knit in concern, only he's not the only one. Both of Indra's brows arch, and Kane seems to stare at her expectantly. Noah cuts her a questioning glance as if to say Who are you so afraid for? Bellamy? Only Murphy shoots Lyra a knowing smirk, and her cheeks flush.

      "Watch out," she says lamely. "Echo's, uh, killer."

     Bellamy looks like he might say something, but Noah beats him to it.

     Her dad snorts loudly. "I think we noticed by now, kiddo. Don't worry. Your old man's still got a few good shots left in him."

     Bellamy doesn't seem to have anything to add to this, so he takes the head of the group and starts off again. Noah, Kane, and Indra flank him. Murphy brings up the rear, falling into step with Lyra.

     "I take it daddy dearest is unaware his daughter is dating a mass murderer?"

     She'd glare at him, but honestly, it's the truth. And she doesn't have a good retort. She presses her mouth together. "What about it you? I take it you're not actually planning on sticking around?"

     "Not really a survivor's move, is it?" Murphy retorts. "Don't tell me you trust these people."

     "No," says Lyra slowly. "But I do trust that people can change. In the City of Light, everyone worked together. There were no clans. No Skaikru, no Grounders. Echo was there. Maybe she'll see that it could work again."

     "Yeah. I'm not really getting that vibe," says Murphy flatly. He gives her a sarcastic grin and salutes her mockingly. "May we meet again, Spacewalker."

He doubles back down the street towards Emori.

    "You coming?" Bellamy calls to her from up ahead. His shoulders are tense. "Don't know if you noticed, but between the two of us, you're. . . nicer."

     Lyra hurries to his side. "Yeah, yeah. I won't let you I anything stupid."

     "Good," says Bellamy darkly as Echo abandons the Azgeda warriors behind her and strides forwards to meet them in the deserted town square. "Because I'm trying really, really hard not to shoot her in the head already."

     That's a perfect example of what he shouldn't do, so Lyra steps closer to him.

     "So how do we do this?" He asks quietly.

     She tries for a polite smile. "Diplomatically."

     Echo saunters towards them.