8 years

pete paces the floor, taking another drag out of his cigarette and sighing, running his fingers through his hair. he sits at his messy kitchen table and looks at his dead phone. throwing his phone because he wasn't able to look at your contact photo. even though you've changed your number. it's been years. years since he had you and decided to fuck it all up. he moved slowly to his cigarette and took a long puff and got up. deciding to put his jacket on and he starts to walk to your house. it's pouring down rain and he starts heading your way. your house was miles and miles away but he didn't mind. he did this all the time. he didn't have a car, he still lived with his mom. but you? you had it all. your own car, multiple cars, a house, a loving household, you once had pete.
the walk lasted 4 hours. it was now 8 at night and he looks inside your house. he doesn't see you and gets worried. he looks around, only being able to see part of your living room and the entire kitchen. he sees your guys' son. he smiles. he wishes he was able to hold him once again. he was now 8. 8 years. 8 years since he was able to show you both how much he loved you both and hold you and tell you everything was going to be alright. but he fucked up, bad.
he finally sees you come from around the stairs with a smile on your face. he bites his lip slightly and tears up. wishing he was inside enjoying dinner with you two. he watched as you kiss your son on his forehead and handed him his plate. then he came. the one that just swept you off your feet and took you away from pete. he sighs, getting angry. pete lights up a blunt, placing it softly against his lips and inhaled roughly.
pete sighs, knowing he shouldn't do what he was about to do. but he doesn't care. he just wants to talk to you again. it's been so long. 8 years. he moves away from the window and walks up to the front porch, the blunt not staying lit due to the rain. he knocks softly and hears the voices stop. "i got it." your voice echos and he smiles brightly. he was so happy that the guy didn't answer the door.
"hello?" you say as you open the door. he watches as your eyes go wide in realization but you quickly put your smile back on. "pete." you say, noticing how dirty he looked. he looked awful. "y/n." he breathes out and looks around. "what are you doing here?" you question. "i wanted to see our son." he half tells the truth and you nod. "of course." he was surprised to see you agree. "it's been so long since you've seen him i think it'll be-" pete hears someone clearing their throat. "what's going on?" pete rolls his eyes and looks down. "pete's here to see Alex." you tell Brendon and open the door wider for pete. "come in pete, it's freezing outside."
pete looks at you surprised but still steps inside. "this place is nice." he says and you mutter out a thank you with a smile on your face still. "would you like to join us for dinner?" you ask and pete nods. "great!" you look at his wet clothes and back up to him. "why don't you go shower and i'll put your clothes in the dryer for you?" you take his jacket off and pete questions your niceness but doesn't say anything out loud.
he walks up to the bathroom and strips, chuckling in disbelief. "this is crazy." pete mumbles to himself and sets the clothes outside the room like how you instructed him to do before he left. he steps in the warm shower and gasps at the amazing feeling of the hot shower.
you grab his clothes and throw them in the dryer. "what the fuck is this?" Brendon yells and you shrug. "pete is someone i loved and had a baby with. if he's not doing well i'm going to help him. he gave me something i'll never forget." you snap at brendon and make your way back up to the kitchen. "this doesn't sit right with me." he says as he follows quickly behind you. "well it needs to or you can get out." you say and make pete a plate of food. you grab his dry clothes out of the dryer and you set them on the sink. "your clothes are done." you tell him and he pokes his head out of the shower curtain. "thank you, i really appreciate it." he says and he looks at you. "why are you helping me out?" he asks and you shrug. "i wish we really could have coparented." you start to say. "it's just been so long and i miss you sometimes." you whisper and put your head down. "i miss you too. every single day." pete says honestly. "you might want to go back. he'll start flipping out." he says and you smile. "you're right." you leave the room and let pete get dressed.
       pete comes back downstairs and you hand him his plate. "thank you so much." he says and sits down. you look at Brendon and he looks angry. "is there a problem?" you say in front of pete. "actually, alex go upstairs and get ready for bed. me and daddy need to talk." pete's stomach turns as you refer to Brendon as Alex's dad. Alex runs upstairs. "anyways, like i was saying is there a problem Brendon?" he sighs and looks at pete quickly. "yes. there is. you can't just bring a random stranger into our house and feed him." he yells. "it's pete!" you yell back he gets up and gets in your face. "i don't know that man. i don't want him around our son. and i don't want you to sleep with him."
       "what the fuck is wrong with you? no one ever said anything about that!" you yell and he pushes you down and pete quickly gets up and tries to punch him but misses and brendon kicks the back of his leg, knocking him down. "pete stop it's not worth it." you tell him. "he's not going to hurt you, y/n." pete says and quickly tries to get up but gets knocked down again. "leave or i'm calling the police!" you scream and push him away from pete. "fine. i'll go." brendon says and grabs his jacket and keys. "i'm not coming back." you laugh. "thank god."
       "does he usually hurt you?" pete asks as you help him up. "i don't want to talk about it." pete grabs your waist and leans you against the counter and kisses you. "i would never put my hands on you. you know that." his hands travel down to your hands and he holds them. "i know you wouldn't." you watch his hands and look back up to him. "so give me a second chance." you bite your lip and look over to alex who came back down to see what all the commotion was about. "pete..i don't know."