Chapter 19: To The Discord of the Once Gone

Start from the beginning

"It's...that so?" Now that Gladion think about it, he has not seen the professor either since the start of the tournament, or even the Ultra Recon Squad for that matter. The last time he has seen Phyco and Soliera was the day following their arrival. He has not paid much attention to it because he has been busy keeping an eye out on Sun. He has confidence that any new information they could find will be eventually relayed to him, but he has yet to hear anything. Not even the President approached him the past days and told him any news he might have missed. Maybe he should come by her office tonight.

"If you happen to see him, tell him to come home and call once in a while."

Gladion nodded. "I'll tell him."

Selene thanked him and picked up the remote to turn the volume up. The screen was showing the battlefield where both semifinalists are down to their last Pokémon. Guzma and his partner, Golisopod, must have taken down Sun's Corviknight somewhere during their conversation, but it seemed to have put up quite a fight as Golisopod's health bar is down to less than seventy-five percent. Unlike his previous matches, Sun did not call for Dragapult and opted for a different Pokémon. This time it was a white, rabbit-like Pokémon with a red and orange tuft sticking out of his forehead and a navy patch of fur over his shoulders. The fur on his lower body resembles what seemed to be a navy-blue and red pair of pants.

The rabbit-like Pokémon, Cinderace apparently is his name, darted to and from the battlefield, efficiently avoiding Golisopod's Pin Missile. It seemed that Golisopod have already used First Impression prior Cinderace's appearance and cannot do so now. The Hard Scale Pokémon tried for a Poison Jab, but the Striker Pokémon leapt away and retaliated with a powerful High Jump Kick. The attack cut a significant portion off Golisopod's health, but he seized it as an opening for an attack. The dual-type Pokémon grip his opponent's leg and lunged a Throat Chop. The move hit its target successfully, but Cinderace managed to escape Golisopod's grip with a Gunk Shot.

"That kid, Sun, wasn't it? He is an outstanding Trainer." Selene remarked. "If he were to go for it, he might become the next Champion."

"...Yeah." Gladion has long acknowledged Sun as a worthy and dangerous opponent, yet he is someone he cannot accept nor allow to become Alola's next Champion. Whether it was deliberate or not, that guy has too many red flags to be seated on the highest position in the region.

"But that boy...he seemed lonely."

Gladion turned to her with a questioning look. "Lonely?"

"That's right." Selene nodded. "He might look like he's enjoying right now, but he is holding back. No, not holding back but he is being restricted. That boy seemed to be carrying a burden that only he knows about." She placed her spoon down on her plate. A sullen look on her usually bright face. "He reminds me of Moon."

Gladion's hand stilled at the mention of the former Champion's name but said nothing as Selene continued. "You might not have noticed it, but as her mother, I know that that child has her own cross to bear. She could have asked for help, but she didn't want to burden anyone else. She's far too kind and stubborn for her own good." She sighed and smiled sadly. "I guess she got it from me."

Gladion stared at his half-eaten curry as he contemplated over her words. He wanted to say something, anything to reassure her, but what could he say to a mother whose daughter disappear without a word for five years? That, and he is never a man of words. That role is something best left to Hau who is the most outspoken among the three of them. It is a trait he never claimed for himself.

The cheers of stadium crowd jerked him away from his self-deprecating thoughts and back to the live League match. The camera was showing Golisopod with his arm plates raised over the soft portion of his body as Cinderace leapt and kicked at him in swift succession. Both Pokémon have barely a fourth of their health bars, but Cinderace kept up with his relentless attacks as Golisopod continued to defend. Eventually, Guzma ordered for him to use Liquidation, but Cinderace was faster than Golisopod and ducked from the move's reach. Using his foot, he flicked up a small stone from the battleground and flames began to ignite and cover the stone. The fiery ball grew in size with each kick as Cinderace raced back toward his opponent.