✧ lies, pets and divorce ✧

Start from the beginning

Every possible trace of amusement or smile fades from the witch as soon as she notices the genuine disappointment in your eyes.

"Y/N, do you really think I'm capable of killing an animal?"

"If you didn't, where is he?"

"In a safe place," she replies, inspecting the ring you gave her. "I never considered marriage, maybe we can..."

"In a safe place where?"

After releasing a sigh of surrender, Agatha takes your hand and in a single blink you both appear in what appears to be the attic of a house. Everything loses its relevance as soon as a few little barks reach your ears and a small canine runs in your direction.

"Sparky!" You exclaim excitedly like a child, crouching on the floor to give the puppy affection.

"See? He's fine! I'm not a killer, at least not a pet killer." You look up, not too happy with the funny smile that lights up your girlfriend/fake ex-wife's face. "What? You know my story."

"I don't want you to hurt Wanda, you promised..."

"I know."

You get up from the floor with Sparky in your arms, and you go to the nearest window, where you have a wide and nice view of the neighborhood. You got used to urban life pretty quickly. Sure, it's all a big sham, but living here isn't that bad. The craziest and funniest thing is probably the changing times. You're a fan of seeing how artifacts and outfits adapt according to the years, and how the person who causes those changes enjoys it. She says she hates it, that she hates playing Agnes and dealing with all those ridiculous costumes, but deep down, you know she's lying.

Lately, she's lying quite a bit - or as she calls it, hiding the truth. That scares you because you two are a team, two halves of a whole. It's been that way for almost seven years, and it can't change now. Or ever.

"Where are we?" You ask her as soon as you distinguish Wanda's house a few blocks away.

"In a neighbor's house. I don't know which one, I didn't learn their names." The witch responds. "All I know is that I control him to give Sparky the best of care."

After nodding, you start to study the place. It's actually quite cozy. There's a dog bed in one corner, along with a bowl of water and another with food. You sit on the sofa here, trying to get your thoughts in order.

"Why did you lie to me? Why did you say Sparky died? You could've told me."

Agatha sits next to you. "Because if I told you I faked his death, you would've wanted to keep him at home, and I couldn't risk."

"I would've understood."

"Oh, babe, come on," she gently tilts her head. "You see a pet and you want to adopt it, we have a farm full of animals of all kinds! Horses, chickens, rabbits, dogs- And you won't let me eat any!"

Your eyes open wide. "Agatha Harkness!"

"I'm joking, I'm joking!" She giggles as she hugs you, wrapping her hands around your neck. "What I mean is, I'm sorry I lied to you, it wasn't right. But, oh my gosh, I really enjoy being without pets around, I can't help it."

"And what about Scratchy?"

"Hey, that's different. He's my son, my baby, not just a pet."

"But it's unfair you can have him and I can't keep this cute, adorable little thing," you stroke the soft fur of Sparky, who's quite comfortable lying on your lap.

The witch pulls away from you a little to appreciate the way you smile. She loves to see you smile and lately she has been passing this simple gesture unnoticed. Or you. Her obsession with Wanda's chaos magic and this whole place caused some distance between the two of you, didn't it? She has been so focused on it, on not making any mistakes in her strategic plan, on taking care of every detail and playing her role with conviction, that she's barely seeing you - your smiles, your laughs, your eyes, every little detail that makes you the wonderful, radiant person you are.