Confession

"You're here! I'm back. How have you been, Nakiri?"

Erina felt her heart skip a beat when she heard Soma say her name. She had rushed to Yukihira Restaurant the minute she'd heard he was back, but she couldn't let him know that.

"Welcome back, Yukihira. I specially made time to come despite being busy. Is that all you have to say?" she sniffed with disdain as she looked him up and down. He looked well, and that somehow made her heart ache.

She had missed him so much in the months he'd been gone, but it seemed like he hadn't missed her at all.

Before Soma could reply, the door to Yukihira Restaurant burst open and their friends rushed inside, all chattering as they gathered around Soma. Erina did her best to smile with them, especially as they all placed bets on what Soma might feed them now that he had returned.

They sat at the table telling stories, but Erina was barely listening as she watched Soma cook behind the counter. She had missed seeing that fire in his eyes, that smug smirk as he cooked. She could hardly believe that they boy she had hated so much when he had first arrived at Totsuki Academy was now the man that ignited her passion for cooking.

"Today, I'll definitely make you say the word 'delicious,'" Soma said as he set down a plate in front of her with a flourish.

Everyone oohed and aahed at the dish he presented, and Soma said, "Well, let's see if it passes the standards of God's Tongue."

Erina took a spoon and dug into his dish, and that first bite of Soma's dish was just like the first bites she had taken of all of his other dishes.

Delicious.

All of his dishes had always been delicious. But she could never bring herself to say it. Much less today, when all of their friends were looking at her expectantly. Not when he was looking at her expectantly.

Erina took a sip of water, dabbed at her mouth with a napkin, then stood up and left the table. She headed towards the back room as she heard their friends call after her, "Hey, you can't just leave us hanging like that! Was it good or not?!"

She blindly opened a door and entered, shutting it behind her. Her eyes adjusted to the dimly-lit room and she realized she was inside the pantry. Erina put a hand to her heart, willing it to slow down. Her body was still singing from the deliciousness of Soma's dish, that she didn't hear the door open and shut behind her.

"Nakiri, what's wrong?"

She startled at the sound of Soma's voice behind her, and nearly jumped when she felt his hand on her shoulder.

"Nothing," she said, shrugging off his hand.

Soma spun her around to face him. "I made a trip around the world and learned various techniques in my own way so I could cook a delicious meal for you. So tell me, was it delicious or not?" he demanded.

Erina refused to meet his eyes as she shook her head, and he exclaimed, "Not delicious?? I'm the first seat at Totsuki, I've trained everywhere, and it's still not delicious?? What in God's name can satisfy that God's Tongue of yours?? Tell me and I'll cook it for you and--"

"I can't say it, okay?!" Erina exploded, "I can't say it because then it'll all be over!!"

Soma stopped and looked at her. "What do you mean, it'll all be over?"

Erina bowed her head as she felt a flush creep into her cheeks, and she said nothing.

Soma stepped closer to her. "What would be over, Nakiri?"

She bit her lip and realized that there was no way out of this. Knowing Soma, he would hound her relentlessly to get an answer, maybe even demand for it in front of all their friends. She might as well get it over with.

"If I say that word, you'll have reached your goal and then this is over."

She stole a glance at him and he looked confused. "This? What do you mean by 'this?'"

She rolled her eyes and gestured in exasperation, "This! You, me, whatever you call this, this-- whatever this is between us! It was so easy for you to leave without even saying goodbye, after all. It would all just be over." Her voice trailed off at those last words and her cheeks were burning in embarrassment.

To her surprise, Soma laughed.

She looked up at him indignantly. "You think this is funny??"

He scratched his head in wonder. "Oh, Erina," he shook his head at her, "I thought you were smart."

Her eyes widened at him in surprise. He hardly ever called her Erina, almost never.

"After all this time, you still don't get it," he said, smiling at her ruefully. "When I cook, I cook for you. I left so I could be better for you. That God's Tongue of yours gives me something to strive for, and you push me to become a version of myself I never even dreamed possible. It's all been for you, Erina. It's always been you."

Erina was dumbstruck by what Soma had said, but nothing could have prepared her for what he said next.

Soma stepped even closer to her and tipped her chin up so he could look into her eyes.

"Now tell me the truth. Was that dish delicious, or do I need to give you a taste of something your God's Tongue has never tasted before?" he asked softly, and she couldn't escape from the intensity of his gaze.

Something her God's Tongue had never tasted before? Was that even possible?

There was only one way to find out.

Erina shook her head and whispered, "It wasn't delicious."

Soma smirked and said, "Then you leave me no choice."

He dipped his head down and touched his lips to hers. Erina instantly felt a warmth coursing throughout her entire body, and her heart was racing, her head spinning. She felt weak in the knees and was thankful when Soma grabbed her by the waist and pulled her close as he deepened their kiss. Erina kissed him back shyly as she wound her arms around his neck, and it was like fireworks were pinging in every direction of the pantry.

"Hey! What is this??" she heard yelling from outside.

"Why are we naked?? Is this a Bestowment??"

"Is it a delayed reaction Nakiri is having over Yukihira's dish??"

"What's going on??"

Soma and Erina kept on kissing until they finally pulled apart breathlessly. Soma kept his arms around her and said, "Erina. If you tell me that my dish today was delicious, it won't be over. It'll only be the beginning. It'll be the first of many dishes that I'll make for you that will make you say that word."

He dipped his head down to hers again and murmured against her lips, "And I'll make sure that you say it over and over again." He punctuated each word with a kiss, and Erina felt her bruised lips curve into a smile.

"I'm not sure if any of your dishes can compare to this, Soma, but you can certainly try," she said as she kissed him back. Erina felt Soma smirk against her lips as they continued to kiss, and that's when she knew that a new chapter in her adventure with Soma was just beginning indeed.