Part 1: All for a Waltz

They were fearsome people, The Kokhuri. 

A terrifying kingdom of ruthless warriors, or that is what the rumors said. In truth, not much was known about them, except that they lived in the Southlands of the Great Steepe and that their soldiers stroke fear in the hearts of men. 

For days more and more rumors about them came to your ears as the palace prepared itself for the great Masquerade which would house royalty from all over the continent in an effort to form diplomatic relations for Vesuvia. Even after many years of the tradition, this was the first in which the daunting Kokhuri royalty would be invited. It was all of Prince Asra's doing. If for the events that came to pass there were a guilty party it would have to be them.

For three years you had delivered Prince Asra their correspondence and every so often he would receive a letter, written in a thick yellow parchment with strong decisive writing on the front. Those letters, decorated with beautiful green ribbons came from Prince Muriel of The Kokhuri himself, who Prince Asra had met in one of his travels and with whom they had become close friends. In the beginning, you had been tempted to as Asra about him, but none of their descriptions could compare to having him before you.

Quickly you descended the steps of the palace and made your way to do one final inspection of the palace gardens on the morning of the masquerade. You were as busy as ever with preparations, tending to the royal guests, and making sure every detail was perfect. As an advisor in training, it was your job to present Vesuvia's best side to all the foreign diplomats attending the festivities.

"Looking good, Advisor!" called Ludovico, one of the palace guards and your friend as he saw you rushing past him. Their partner Bludmila waved and gave you an approving nod.

You stopped and waved parading your elegant dress to the guards, feeling flattered.

"Thank you! His Highness has me wearing these fancy robes all week. To 'give the best impression', you know." You exclaimed.

"It's a great impression alright!" Bludmila chimed "You almost look like a royal yourself! It looks real good on ya."

"Me?! Please? I'm not nearly as refined to pass off as a royal." You laughed before taking your leave to finish your inspections.

And there, by the Southern gates of the palace, the one that led to the forest that neared Vesuvia you heard a pair of voices. One deep and gravely and the other kind and elderly. Curious about the strange voices you decided to approach them carefully trying not to disturb their conversation.

"-showing others who we really are is the key." said the elderly voice.

"But people see what they want to see." the deep voice contended.

You could see their large figures through the foliage and as you got closer the voices died down and before you knew it you were held at knifepoint by a mountain of a man who looked down at you menacingly.

Stormy green eyes pierced through yours while you stood frozen in place with hands lifted in surrender at his imposing stance, but there was something else there in his eyes. Something like fear.

His furlined coat was too refined to belong to any commoner and his knife too worn to belong to any civilian. The scars on his handsome face told a story, and their description matched the one of a fearsome Prince whose rumors you'd heard recently. This was Prince Muriel of The Kokhuri.

"Forgive the interruption." You stuttered still gazing up at the man. "No one ever comes to this part of the gardens and I got a little curious. But I mean no harm."