Chapter 1 // Niall's Irish Pub

Chapter 1 //

Juliet's P.O.V.

I sighed in boredom, wishing I could hear the musical sound of the final bell ring so I can go home and enjoy the weekend. I began nodding off as the monotone voice of the teacher seemed to drone on as he discussed the importance of modern art in relation to history, which to me made no sense at all. I put my head on the cool laminated desk in front of me for a few seconds to rest my eyes but before I knew what had happened I was woken with a jolt from a shrill noise. I quickly glanced around only to see most of the other students either already gone or packing up their stuff. I quickly gathered all of my belongings, slipping into my soft grey flece jacket, before promptly exciting the building, wanting to continue my nap back at my apartment.

These fall months in Ireland were beautiful and I made sure to look around at the scenery and nature as I walked along the coblestone path that was the sidewalk. I shivered as the wind whipped my hair across my face, looking up at the sky to see dark swirling clouds starting to form. I kept up my pace hoping to make it back to my flat before the stormy weather touched down here. I turned the corner smiling in relief since my house was at the end of the street but as soon as I felt the first drop fall on my cheek I knew I wasn't going to make it there without getting completely soaked.

Sure enough, within about five seconds it was raining so hard I couldn't see my hand in front of my face. I glanced around hoping to see some kind of store I could go into to wait out the storm, only to see a form of lighting or a sign in the window of a nearby store. I immeaditly made a dash for it becoming drenched to the bone in the few steps it took me to reach the door and go inside.

I wiped all of the water and wet strands of hair out of my eyes hoping to gain back my vision and figure out what kind of place I landed in. The first thing I noticed was the faint scent of cloves in the air which confused me because most places wouldn't smell of smoke unless it was a bar. Sure enough, when I looked at my surroundings I saw several circular deeply colored wooden bar tables with matching chairs, a few comfy looking red apolstured booths that were unusually clean for this type of establishment, and a deep mahogany bar with about ten stools. All in all it was exactly like the sterotypical Irish pub I had always pictured but never had the chance to visit.

There were a couple patrons at the bar, the place not very crowded since it was only about 4:30pm and most activity didn't occur until later in the day. I glanced back at the outside wondering how long I was going to have to stay in this place. I wasn't exactly the bar scene type of girl so I didn't have much experience with them and frankly, it made me kind of nervous to be in here with people I didn't know.

A few of the customers turned around curious at who the new arrival was causing me to smile uncomfortably in a lame form of greeting. They turned back soon enough allowing me to breath a sigh of relief and take a seat in the closest booth I could find. I sunk into the soft cushions and shivered as a blast of air conditioning hit my body, reminding me that all of my clothes were covered in water from the rain. I slid off my damp coat in hopes of warming up without the wet material on my skin and pulled my now frizzy hair into a sloppy bun to get it out of my face.

I glanced around in hopes of seeing a server so I could maybe order a hot cup of tea and partake in its liquid warmth that I was so desperately seeking. I hadn't even noticed that my teeth were chattering and my hands were shaking slightly. I figured that this might be the kind of establishment where you have to go up to the bar in order to place an order so that's exactly what I did.

If I thought the bar looked nice from a distance, it was beautiful up close, the intricate carvings and patterns danced all over the wood seeming to breath life into it. I ran my finger tips along the smooth surface and waited for the bartender to finish attending to another customer at the other end of the table.