It wasn't long after you had begun to help Kingsley fix the broken system of the Ministry of Magic that Hermione had graduated. The two of you immediately got rid of the horrible laws that had been put in place by Umbridge under Voldemort's rule. This was no easy task with how many laws that horrid woman had done to suppress Muggleborns. You spent days late in the office going through so many papers that your fingers would cramp up and would leave when the moon and stars were out. After you and Hermione were finally able to get rid of all these Wicked laws that Umbridge and her friends had put in place, the real work has begun. You and Hermione fought tooth and nail to put new laws in place - laws that would help those who were seldom helped by wizarding law in the past. You thought of your friend Dobby as Hermione drafted laws protecting house-elves. And you thought of your professor and friend Remus Lupin as you drafted laws that protected werewolves. No one as brilliant as your late professor would have to face discrimination and have jobs below their level of expertise purely based on the fact that they're a werewolf. You and Hermione found it incredibly satisfying how you were able to not only tear down the cruelty Umbridge had put in place but also how you were able to create new laws that were the epitome of everything she despised, chiefly equality and free of prejudice. It was through both of your work that Hermione was on the unofficial shortlist for the future minister of magic and you were made the youngest member of the Wizengamot. It had seemed that as you helped put an end to tyranny and rebuilt democracy the past few years that in those few years since graduating that you and Hermione both made names for yourselves in the Ministry of Magic and the wizarding world as a whole.

It was as the two of you walked side by side through the black tiled floors of the Ministry that your notability was as prevalent as ever. With dark clothes that exuded professionalism and glossy heels that clicked against the tiles and created an echo effect with every step, you walked through the entrance level of the Ministry of Magic with your shoulder pushed back as you were in deep conversation with Hermione about a new law the two of you were pushing for and in the process of drafting. This, of course, didn't stop you smiling and greeting people that you passed by. A simple nod in greeting or a gentle smile, maybe even a 'hello' to a select few were given to the people you passed by in the sea of those weaving in and out of the Ministry. You passed by former classmates and mentors alike, humorously thinking how the people you once admired were now your equals despite the fact that just a few years ago you were only a girl and not the woman you are now. It was through this sea of people dressed quite similarly that fleeted in and out of your vision as you were heavily involved in conversation with Hermione that you caught sight of him.

Platinum blonde hair and a pale complexion paired with a black suit, Draco Malfoy looked completely different. There was a considerable distance between the two of you in more ways than one. It wasn't just how physically far the two of you were from each other with the groups of people filling up the distance where you both stood.

It was only when he caught sight of you that you noticed Hermione's rigidity. Your close friend was no stranger to your history with Draco. She knew better than most of what had happened. While your peers had made no sense of why you would be with Draco Malfoy in your sixth year despite his shady past and history of malice, Hermione knew. She knew that you hadn't wanted to fall in love with Draco, only that you had. She was who you had confided in when you had unwittingly fallen in love with him. She knew that as cold as he was not unlike ice, he had been different and softer when he was with you. You weren't alone in wondering if the war hadn't happened and if Voldemort hadn't existed if it would have been fine for both of you to fall in love with one another. But the war had happened and you watched Voldemort and his followers not only take the ones you loved from you in his cruel way but also your childhood. It was because of Voldemort that you were forced to grow up and fight a war when you were but a teenager. It was because of Voldemort that you had immediately broken off your relationship with Draco when you had caught sight of the Death Mark on his skin.