Neville Longbottom

Start from the beginning

Hermione gaped like a fish at your statement, which made Ron and Neville chuckle at your friend's behavior. "Are you serious, Y/N?" She asked as her shocked expression turned to a joyful one.

"Of course, Hermione." You grinned. "I'd be out of my bloody mind to ask anyone else." You laughed lightly as you basked in your friend's happiness at this moment.

At this, Hermione moved forward at once and encased you in a bone-crushing hug that couldn't help but remind you of Ron's mother's hugs - as painful as they were loving.

"Bloody hell, Hermione." Ron laughed at his girlfriend's actions with a fond smile on his lips and his eyes alight with pure love and adoration. "Let the girl breathe, will you?"

Hermione and you paid him no mind. Pulling back from you, at last, she still held your arms and smiled at you. "There is nothing I would want more in the world to be your maid of honor." She smiled with joy seeping through her features. "I don't know how I can ever repay you!" She laughed.

You smiled fondly at her as you gently rubbed her arm. Smiling cheekily you simply replied, "Return the favor one day, then."

The blush on her cheeks - as well as Ron's which you only noticed - was only momentarily as she released you at last and began spewing about countless wedding ideas she already had. A fond smile was permanently placed on your lips as your friend went on and on. Absentmindedly you felt your eyes trail off from your friends and glance around the room in curiosity who else was here you had yet to see.

In the abyss of elegance, your eyes reached the person who hadn't failed plague your thoughts in the pass. Dressed in a black tuxedo with polish shoes, Draco Malfoy didn't look much different from anyone else in the room. Perhaps the platinum blond hair could have made him stick out but the unsure expression that made him appear as if he wasn't sure if he belonged in the room and where his place was, would be enough to explain his temperament. It was a stark contrast to his previous attitude that had held an air of superiority no matter where he was. The Draco Malfoy that had always known his place in a room had been wiped out once he chose to bear the dark mark.

Despite his resilience of having people who fought against Voldemort testifying on his behalf, so that he would not have to spend the rest of his days in Azkaban, Draco found no solace in standing in this room. The elegant affair was one he had become used to in his life. It was only now at the sight of you in the arms of Neville Longbottom that made his skin crawl. It was illogical in all sincerity, but the sight of you in someone's arms - someone that wasn't him that irked him. His feet yearned to be moved from their place on the marble floor and his eyes begged to be torn from your face across the room which was now looking straight at him. His feet didn't move, however, and he couldn't bear to look away. Even across the room in the pale light of the night couldn't prevent that coldness in your eyes. The daggers your usually warm eyes shot at him was enough to allow his heart to freeze over. The glimmering diamond on your ring finger only added further insult injury at the realization of what you both had become - nothing at all. Your love had been a burning star, the reality of it dying out once he had left you burned for too long was inevitable. This love was never enough to have a diamond ring on your finger and swear to be each others eternally.

The pain he felt at your mere expression was excruciating enough but this diamond ring - this reminder that someone else had given you what he never did - was enough to become his final nail in the coffin he had put himself in. It was karma, that the very man you had found eternity with was the very person who Draco had decided he was better than the moment he met him all those years ago. The pain was insurmountable for Draco and he found no solace in the champagne in the glass he gripped onto for dear life as his knuckles turned white.

Across the room, you heard the buzzing of what you were sure was a meaningful conversation, but you ignored the voices only hoping they weren't aware of who had caught your eye. Your heart once warm and full to the brim of joy was now feeling cold as your eyes harden at the sight of Draco. His eyes were trained on you as you looked at him. You couldn't muster any facade as your eyes hardened instantaneously at his presence. After all, the memories with him were too haunting to forget. Despite the craving to completely forget your past, you couldn't. The memories came in shockwaves as the brutality of the truth you had been served only a few years ago hit you. Unbeknownst to you, the pain hit Draco the very time.

You pulled away from the foreign eyes of your past who had left your burned and hallow as you turned to the eyes of your future. Neville's warm eyes ignited the happiness your heart craved for and a smile was brought upon your lips without a word slipping past his lips. You slid your hand around his arm and smiled affectionately at him despite the coldness you felt mere seconds ago. Looking intently into Neville's eyes you saw your future and at that moment. It hadn't occurred to you that Draco stood planted on the spot across the room as he felt his heart being torn from his chest, finally feeling the heartbreak you had years ago when you discovered the dark mark he had hidden from you.

While your eyes were trained on your future, Draco's were stuck on his past too heartbroken to look away.