Neville Longbottom

Start from the beginning

"Stop it!" You said insincerely as you lightly smacked his chest with your free hand. You smiled fondly at him. Neville always knew how to make your nerves disappear within seconds. "I just want them to like me and I don't want them to think terribly of me for being in Slytherin." You said softly.

"They'll love you, that's not in the question." He assured you but not before adding with a cheeky smile. "Though hopefully not as much as I love you. Can't have anyone stealing you away from me."

You chuckled. "No one can replace you, Nev." You said looking at him with all the gentleness in the world.

"You know you could have picked a different color to wear, love." He commented as he looked at your dark green sweater.

You playfully scoffed. "And what's wrong with green? It is my color."

Neville couldn't keep back the laugh that slipped past his lips. "Well, I can't argue against that." He said fondly. "What do you say? Ready to meet everyone?"

You nodded, still quite nervous but as long as Neville stood by you, you knew that everything would be alright. As Neville mumbled the password to get into the common room, you took a deep breath and both walked in holding hands where you saw Harry, Ron and Hermione.

The Golden Trio weren't sure what they were expecting when they were going to meet Neville's Slytherin girlfriend but it definitely wasn't you.

You were smiling gently at the three of them with kind eyes and a soft complexion. Neville cleared his throat and looked at you were a smile. "Harry, Ron, Hermione, this is my girlfriend, Y/N."

Hermione was the first to get up noticing Ron and Harry were sitting there almost in shock. "Hi, I'm Hermione." She greeted you warmly. "Why don't we all sit down."

"It's so nice to meet you." You said sincerely as you sat down with Neville. "I've heard so much about you."

"From Draco, I bet?" You heard Ron grumbled. He didn't look pleased at your appearance in the common room. Hermione shot him a warning look which you ignored.

"Malfoy?" You questioned casually, unbothered by his attitude. "We don't talk, he doesn't like me much."

Hermione scrunched her eyebrows in confusion and intrigue. She'd never met a Slytherin that didn't worship the ground Malfoy walked on, much less didn't care about him at all by the looks of it. "Really? I've never seen another person in his house that didn't like him."

"Not to be rude or anything," You trailed off, never wanting to be outwardly unkind towards anyone even if they weren't present. "I just don't like him much - at all really - and the feeling is mutual."

"Why doesn't he like you? I thought all Slytherins liked each other." Ron added leaning forward in his seat with interest.

"His father doesn't like mine, says we're too soft for purebloods - whatever that even means. It doesn't help that I'm one of the few in our house that doesn't believe in all that pureblooded nonsense. We're all witches and wizards pureblood or not, after all. I suppose I could've picked a better time to be a glorified blood-traitor" You said your last thought rather grimly.

Looking up at the three Gryffindors you noticed the similar grimness in their own expressions. Harry gave you a solemn nod. You didn't need to finish the sentence for him to understand what you meant. You hoped you could land on a lighter subject, not wanting to talk about the war that was happening. "Good job on last week's win, Harry."

"You like Quidditch?" He asked perking up.

"Oh yes!" You said excited. "I don't play much but Quidditch kind of runs in my family." You said sheepishly. Your father used to play for Puddlemere United and is now working at the Ministry of Magic's Department of Games and Sports.

"That's the understatement of the year!" Neville said proudly. "Her dad played professional Quidditch."

"Really?" Ron said interested. "And you've never tried out?"

"Yeah," Harry added. "Why not? I'm sure you're brilliant!"

"Brilliant would be far-fetched," You laughed. "But I decided against it. You know how dirty Flint would play, I'm sure. I'd rather not play at all then be on a team that wins by cheating."

All three of them looked impressed by your statement. "Good for you." Ron simply said with a large amount of respect.

Suddenly, the tension that existed in the room before evaporated and you felt like you were talking amongst three old friends as you sat next to Neville, holding his hand. Slytherins and Gryffindor. Pureblood and Muggleborn. War on the horizon with everything about to change. It didn't matter. Right now, all that mattered was young love and new friendship.