Chapter 34 - 'I Don't Know What to Say'

Start from the beginning

"I like him, a lot," she gives me a sweet smile. "You know what someone told me one time?" she raises one of her eyebrows at me. 

"What?" I ask as I rub my tired eyes. Even though I slept the entire time on that plane, I could go for another five hours in an actual bed. 

"Love isn't for real, if it doesn't hurt," she says and I look away from her eyes. Love hurts alright, that's for damn sure. 

"Something happened, in New York," I start, but pause wondering how I am supposed to say this. "And I'm still trying to pick of the pieces with him... he is trying so hard and I just don't know what to do," I have to look up as I say this to keep the water in my eyes from coming down. 

"Show him you care," she says faster than I expected. I begin to nod at her response and she must have read my mind that I was going to go over to his house anyways. 

"I love you," I turn to her and lean into her petite frame. She returns the hug and rubs circles on my back, just like she used to do to me when I was a kid. 

"I love you too," I can practically hear her smile. Soon after I let go of her and hop off of the bar stool. 

"I'll be back later," I grab my car keys and she gives me a slight nod. 

"Do what you need to do," she smiles and it ultimately makes me smile too. I turn on my heels and walk out of our kitchen, making my way to the door. The sun outside is hot and it's humid too, which doesn't make it any better. 

I unlock my car and get in, starting it up with ease. And suddenly, it hits me. I have not drove my own car in what seems like months. When I back out of our driveway and begin to drive out of our neighborhood, a fluttery feeling comes to my stomach. I have always loved and craved the feeling of getting in my car and just driving. It is an odd feeling to describe, but I love it. 

I decide to not take the interstate and go on the back roads to Calabasas. The drive there is quicker than I thought it would be and I soon find myself seeing a 'Welcome, City of Calabasas' sign. It feels like I have not been here in ages. I know the route to Justin's by heart and I am eventually there with no problems. 

Should I have texted him? I begin to question myself coming here. What if he's busy? I unbuckle my seat belt and realize I did not drive here for nothing. I get out quickly and I jog to his front door. I knock a couple of times and receive nothing. I knock two more times and still get no response. He must not be here, I thought in disappointment. Once I start to give up, abruptly the door swings open and I meet his brown eyes. He is also on the phone. 

"Uh, I'll have to call you back later," he licks his lips, not breaking his gaze with me. "Okay, bye," he hangs up quickly before shoving his phone in his pocket. 

"We need to talk," I say; not in a harsh tone like you would expect from someone saying that though. He gives me a confused look before stepping aside for me to come in. The house looks and smells the same. It's comforting. 

"What's wrong? Is everything okay?" he asks from behind of me and I cross my arms over his chest.