Chapter 34 - 'I Don't Know What to Say'

Start from the beginning

"Thank you," I half-whisper, the grip on my phone releases majorly. She says something but I can't make out what it is. 

"Be careful," she says one more time and in two seconds, the line is dead. I stare at my phone for a few minutes trying to process what just happened. Another crazy thing has been added to my list of crazy things that has happened in my life. I am so grateful that she told me this, but ultimately, I was now scared shit-less. And on top of that, I have no idea what I should do. 

As my mind fights itself, I wonder about Justin. He has to be home right now... I thought, nodding to myself for some reassurance. I need to go there. I got up from my bed quickly before slipping on a pair of shoes and stuffing my phone into my pocket. 

My feet hurry down the hallway and down the stairs but I am stopped by sounds from the kitchen. They sound muffled and strained. I make my way over to the source of the noise slowly and I find my mother with her head in her hands, sitting at one of our bar stools. The sight pains me. 

"Mom?" I say quietly and she looks up before she hurriedly wipes her face with the backs of her hands. 

"Sorry, Kellie, I just -" she stops, looking me straight into my eyes. "Sit down," she past the other seat and I hesitantly make my way over to her. Once I sit down, she grabs my hand, not breaking her glossy gaze with me. 

"What's the matter?" I ask and hope she isn't crying from earlier, but I know deep down she is. 

"Your father and I met and shortly after, I got pregnant with you," I can see a small smile showing through as she spoke. "As a kid he always helped me with you and that's something I always wanted in a man," she pauses again and I nod for her to continue. "Then, when you got into your teens, that wasn't the case anymore. It was slow but eventually, he never came back," there was more than just tears in her eyes. There was a longing and desperation. 

"Why?" I ask almost stupidly. The thing is, I can't even remember him being there as a kid. All I remember was that my mom and I were practically inseparable. 

"He, um," she stopped and I knew she was uncomfortable. I give her a confusing look but I have a pretty good idea why he left. "I look back now and it was probably best that he did leave," she looks away from me. 

"Why do you say that?" I feel like I'm pushing her but I want to hear her side of the story. 

"No one should have to live a life like that, or even be involved with anything like that," she says in a slightly bitter tone, shaking her head. "I just want what's best for you," she looks back at me, her eyes clear of tears. 

"I know," I say quietly giving her hand that is still on mine a squeeze. I soon realize the irony of her words because I am living that life. With Justin. 

"Has he hurt you?" her voice cracks and it makes me cringe. I know she is talking about Justin. 

"No, no he hasn't," I partially lie but I know we have both hurt each other, maybe not physically, but emotionally, I feel like we are more damaged than ever. But I think when you become so close to loosing someone that you care about, you do everything you can to get them back. And that is what we are both doing.