Maia awkwardly returned the gesture, wondering what was the reason behind the most sought after and eligible bachelor such as Edmon saw in her. When they, as far as she recall, never met before his request to be engaged.

"So... those were my conditions, my lord." Maia tried to get back on the topic.

"Then, I shall respect them both." Edmon rose and straightened his clothes before stepping towards Maia, bowing slightly. "I will return one hundred days from today, my lady. And by that time, I also wish to meet and get acquainted with the young master."

Maia erupted into a gentle smile upon the mention of her child. "Of course, my lord. Thank you for accepting my conditions."

She curtsied.

He then reached for her hand and kissed her knuckles. "See you soon, my lady."

And even though he promised not to come to the Eastenborough mansion, his letters came in almost everyday. Mostly were just random things encompassing his day and the thoughts he had. A few include some anecdotes of his men while training.

Maia replied to all of them, trying to match the man's interest and enthusiasm as best as she could. With this, one hundred days came and went in a blink of an eye.

"A pleasant day, my lord," Maia welcomed Edmon the moment he arrived at the estate.

"It is indeed," he replied, admiring the beautiful woman. "However, you are more lovely than anything else, my lady."

Maia shyly smiled at the comment. "Thank you, my lord. Let me guide you to the garden. We prepared some refreshments as well."

With the beautiful weather, both of them sat opposite each other around the table in the gazebo.

"I'm afraid Alexis will be a little late since he is still finishing his lessons for today," Maia started.

"I understand," Edmon grinned, watching the woman with his longing gaze. "This gives me the opportunity to be alone with you a little longer."

Again, Maia could not believe how forward the male was since their last meeting. Even in his letters, Edmon had clearly expressed how she seemed to occupy both his waking and dreaming hours. And it was very new to her.

Not to compare but her late husband had never been as romantic as Edmon was at the moment. Lord Caden was kind and caring, yes, but never as emotionally showy as the Duke's son. Hence, such attacks in her heart were making it beat a little faster than she wanted to.

Edmon, on the other hand, continued to admire how Maia's cheeks would blush and she'd suppress her smile back. He missed that.

Her true smile.

"You should allow yourself to be happy again, my lady. I am not rushing you so take your time. But I would love to see your wide smile and crescent eyes again when you beam in utter joy." Edmon said, reaching over to brush a finger on her cheek.

This made Maia even redder.

Before she could speak though, a boy walked beside them, eyeing the hand that touched his beloved mother.

"I apologize for my tardiness." His tone was sharp and unforgiving.

Auburn locks, big dark eyes, a dash of freckles, and with a straight posture, anyone who will see the boy would not question who his father was. He was a splitting image of Lord Caden Eastenborough. Though it seemed that Edmon made a not-so-pleasing first impression on him.

"Lord Edmon, this is my son," Maia said, already recovering from her embarrassment. "Alexis, introduce yourself."

The boy then curtsied perfectly, saying, "My name is Alexis June Eastenborough. It's an honor to finally meet you, Lord Edmon of Fremont."