𝟎𝟏 | the birds are having a field day!

Start from the beginning

Honestly, it helped keep her mind off the one person she knew that she could never have. She knows it was wrong to use people like this, but she really didn't care. Anything to help her get over that pain and heartbreak was okay in her books.

"You could help me, you know." Sarah grunts as she continues to swing at the birds.

Scarlett doesn't even bother to look up from her phone as she answers her friend. "Yeah, I'll be up in a second."

"Scar, c'mon!"

Scarlett continues to ignore her as she reads her newest incoming texts from Rafe. Luckily, a voice yells out Sarah's name before she has a chance to scold her friend again. Scarlett finally looks up from her phone for the first time in half an hour and sees Ward and a woman she didn't recognize walking over to them.

"I'm busy!" Sarah shouts back.

Ward turns up his face and looks over to Scarlett, hoping to get an explanation. "What is she doing?"

"Beats me, she's been like this for fifteen minutes." Scarlett answers the man and looks back down, continuing to text.

"The burrows filled with water from the surge." Sarah explains as she chases the animals away. "The birds are having a field day!"

Ward sighs at his daughter's actions as he continues to walk closer to her. "The birds have to eat too, Sarah."

"No, it's a mouse genocide out here." Sarah swings the tennis racket and misses. "No!"

"The cycle of life is what it is, sweetheart." Ward says, finally catching up to her. "Now, come on."

"I can't be a part of it. First they came for the mice, Daddy." Sarah looks over to her father and sees him standing with a woman she didn't know, immediately feeling guilty for not realizing why her father was trying to get her attention. "Oh, my God."

Ward waves over to the blonde girl, still sitting by the tree. "Scarlett could you come over here as well, I have a human being you two might help."

"Hi. I'm Sarah." Sarah extends her hand over to the woman. "I'm so sorry."

Scarlett quickly rushes over and introduces herself as well, shaking the woman's hand after Sarah. She had no idea what her possible involvement may be here, but the situation looked serious enough for her to be nervous.

"This is Lana, Scooter's wife." Ward explains as he looks between the two teenagers. "The two of you were storm prepping with him, right?"

"Yeah. He helped us latch the cabin on the Druthers." Sarah says.

"Last night?" Ward asks, wanting to make sure.

Scarlett nods her head and Ward takes that as all confirmation he needs, continuing on with his questions. "And did he go out after that?"

"From here?"

"Yeah."

"No. Are you crazy?" Scarlett scoffs. "There was a hurricane."

"Well, did he say where he was going? Get a phone call or mention anything?" Lana chimes into the conversation, desperately hoping the two girls could help her find her husband.

"He didn't say anything to me." Scarlett informs her.

"Me either." Sarah looks at the woman sadly, feeling a lot of sympathy for her. "I'm so sorry, is he okay?"

"He's absolutely okay." Ward presumes. "He's hunkered down somewhere. We'll find him."

"Sorry." Sarah apologizes again as Lana and her father begin to leave.