𝟒. 𝐜𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐟𝐨𝐮𝐫

Start from the beginning

"I just remembered tomorrow's my birthday." Elizabeth responded to Uma though it may have been half the truth she never really had a great time when her birthday came up.

"Please Eliza you get down on your birthday but not that down." Uma raised her eyebrow as she went back to washing the plates after almost seeing her mother's arm slide in and she didn't want to deal with her mother again that soon.

"Yeah thanks for that." Elizabeth sent her a sarcastic grin seeing how her best friend called her out before sighing herself drying the plates herself noticing Ursula's arm entering the kitchen as well.

"What's going on? Come on, you can tell me this isn't the first time this happened either." Uma turned to her with a soft tone as she saw this happen for some time now and she was tired of them pushing it aside.

Uma and Elizabeth.

They have been best friends for so long that they have lost track but with that, that meant they knew each other so well more so than most people. They did not even have to let out a word and they already knew what they would say or think at times.

Many may see this as something annoying but neither were really easily able to say much about how they felt so they were so thankful to have that bond to know each other that words do not always come in between.

"It's nothing really." Elizabeth mumbled as she sighed once again before looking down to the plates not understanding what she could say, anything she could say didn't make any sense to her.

"It's just you don't seem jealous you just seemed sad." Uma explained as she moved the pan that was on the stove right before the food could get overcooked while Elizabeth was lost in thought.

"Here's the thing Uma. . . I just don't understand what exactly is going on." Elizabeth tossed the rag on the counter as she set her hands on the counter after she just admitted what was on her mind. "And I'm worried."

Elizabeth has not been herself for a while she could not place her finger on it, it seemed everyone could tell and of course she saw it herself. She may have those days just like everyone but she always did well with not letting it take over her.

"Eliza is this about-?" Uma stirred the food as she took notice of Elizabeth's expression and that wasn't her normal expression at all.

"I've been trying to keep them away for years, Uma. I don't know why they're still there." Elizabeth shook her head with a tired sigh as she looked back to her best friend with her eyes filled with confusion and stress, she did not know what to do.

"You know more than anyone things like that don't just go away. Your dad even talked to you about this." Uma pointed out as she tried to see Elizabeth to see it but it was difficult for herself to explain it considering she didn't know how the situation really could be.

Elizabeth since she was young heard her parents' story and though they did get their moment of happiness together it seemed short lived. She always dreamed of having the sort of love her parents have for each other but her fear has always been the same that her parents' short lived happiness would be passed down to her.

She has tried to push that fear away hearing from her father that it was a true gift to feel that happiness even if it was short lived but the thing she knew herself was she tried.

Elizabeth has tried to love and she has but to her it always seemed to only be on her side and at one point she just wanted to shut off that side of her.

"I know but I just. . . I hoped that I could at least keep them under control but it seems, like life, that didn't work out." Elizabeth shook her head sarcastically laughing at herself as she played with her jewelry not knowing what to say really as she could not figure it out herself.