✍The unexpected

Start from the beginning

He was shirtless, but there were cuts all over his body, really horrible, bleeding cuts. It looked like he was getting some of them stitched. But when he saw me, he quickly covered himself. I walked over to him to uncover him, but he held my hand.

"Let me see". I ordered.

" My dear, what are you doing here? "

"Don't avoid the question! what is that?"

"It's nothing"
buttoning his shirt up as he walked to the small bed on the left side of the room.

Taking out his suitcase from under the bed, he opened it and brought out a wooden box with a drawing of a flower on its lid.
He stood up and handed the box over to me.

"What is this?"
I asked as I took it from him.

"Open it"
he said, grinning from ear to ear.

I opened the box and found something pink inside, I touched it, it was a fabric with a cool, soft and smooth feel. I pulled it out and my eyes almost popped out of their sockets.

"No way!!!"
I shouted.
"A ball gown! Ahhh!".
I jumped up and down like a happy child.
"Thank you Thank you Thank you!!!!"
I hugged him tightly out of excitement but I remembered his cuts and loosened my grip.

Looking into his mysterious dark eyes, I wondered what secrets were hidden behind them.
"Why do you have those scars Jordan?".

He closed his eyes, I couldn't tell if it was out of frustration or sadness. But the next second he spoke, with his eyes still closed.

"I need to rest now Kira, can you come back another time?"
Heaving out a deep sigh, he turned his back on me.

I stared at the back of his head for a while and his black shirt that covered those horrendous wounds. Then I walked away, not wanting to upset him further.

"Thanks for the dress, I love it."

No response, but I knew he heard me.

I left his house, hoping that the next time we meet, he would tell me everything of his own accord.

On getting back home, I saw a carriage in front of our house, this got me worried, so I ran into the house to check up on my parents, only to find the unexpected...

The King and that arrogant Prince!! What are they doing in our house? I asked myself that question as the events of the previous month flooded my mind. He threatened to teach me a lesson, is this the lesson?!
I pinched my flesh to confirm that I wasn't dreaming. Ouch! I screamed internally.

"Uh oh ah I I I mean your Majesty",
I bow my head, and then I looked at the prince who had the same smirk on his face as last time. Oh how I wish to slap that off his face but I didn't want to be executed by the King, so I bowed again.
"My Prince". I said.

"Your name is Kira, am I right?"
The King inquired. His voice was just as deep and frightening as the scary man who accompanied the Prince that day, His features were similar to his son's except for his grey hair and the wrinkles on most of his face. He was wearing a white shirt and trousers underneath a blue, finely sewn and richly embroidered royal robe. He was smiling, but it didn't seem to come from his heart. Some say he is a good man, but with his son's bad behaviour, I think he did a bad job in raising him.

 Some say he is a good man, but with his son's bad behaviour, I think he did a bad job in raising him

"Kira"...

My mother's abnormally low tone brought me out of my train of thought, she gave me a specific look and I suddenly realized that I had been staring at the King for some time without replying to his question.

"Uh yes, your Majesty".
I answered, still wondering why such an important man had come to our house.

"Hmm, I like her already, I think she will be perfect".
He shared a look with my mother, now I'm curious. What exactly is he talking about?

I wondered what this prince has planned. He did say he would make me regret talking back at him. But why did he involve his father in this?
I gathered the courage to ask the question that had me uneasy.

"P Perfect for what exactly your Majesty?"

"Stop questioning the King, my dear daughter".
My mother's 'sweet voice' caused me to cringe internally, it was obvious she was trying to impress Him.

"Why don't you show our handsome Prince around the house, and yes! Do take him to our garden, I'm sure he will love it"...
Why is she so nice today? I hope these royal men leave here soon, I can't take this anymore, I said in my mind.

With the look in her eyes, I knew I dared not refuse her.
"Okay mother, please follow me, your highness".

"Call me Edrin please," he said, then smiled charmingly, If Lila were here, she'd have turned crimson red by now. Internal eye roll.

"OK Edrin let's go"
I lead him straight to our garden because I did not feel the need to show him our house. As we silently walked through the lanes in the garden, he had his hands folded behind him. He was dressed in a plain white shirt, brown trousers and a pair of pointy leather boots.

The garden covered a wide area of land with many old trees planted by my ancestors, and over thousands of plant species.

"This garden is not as beautiful as the royal garden". he arrogantly said.

"You don't say. Well, I'm sure if we spend thousands of gold coins on ours, it'd be just as gorgeous"...
Who does he think he is?!

"You have a smart mouth, but I will not tolerate such behaviour later"...
Ugh, the nerve! Who is he to tolerate me or not.

"I'm sure you will not need to, your Highness" I countered.

"He stopped in his tracks and turns to me and I did the same.

"You have not forgotten my promise have you? I believe any simpleton with less than half a brain will not.". He said.

"Lucky for you I'm not a simpleton and I have a complete brain, so yes, I remember your threat". I replied boldly.

Suddenly he grabbed my right arm and held it tightly, causing me pain.

"Let me go!!". I yelled.

"That was no threat! I meant every word, besides, no one will be able to hear you from this distance and even if they did, they wouldn't be so stupid to interfere in what does not concern them. So now, where were we? Ah yes, my little Kira, if you love your dear old parents, you would accept whatever my father tells you."

"And what is that?"
I asked as I struggled to get out of his hold, but he was much stronger.

"You will find out soon and for your good, don't give any excuses, unless you want to be the cause of your parents' death. Are we clear?"

"Leave my parents out of this!" I protested, still trying to get out of his hold.

"You said your father was your life, that means if I take him from you, you'd be dead. And that is what I want more than anything, if you do not want this to get worse than it already is, say yes to whatever my father tells you. Are we clear?!"

"As crystal" I responded, feeling defeated.

Then he released my arm and showed his pearly whites,
"let's go back in shall we?"
He said, turning back towards the house and I follow. Now truly afraid for my parents.
We went back inside to find my mother laughing and serving the king some tea.

"Have you both talked my son?" The King asked his son while having the tea my mother served him.

"Yes father, she is the sweetest girl I have ever met". He said cheekily, then took his seat while I stood beside the door.

For some reason, my mother found it funny as she laughed again, really mother?.
My father did not say a word, he didn't seem as joyful as she was.

The King cleared his throat to get my attention, I turned to him to hear what he had to say,

"So then Kira, will you marry my son?".

Author's note: Please vote and comment. Thank you for reading...