“I will be just up the road.” She reassured. Mr Martin had build them a modest house not far from the one Nash still lived in.

“You will be missed very much.” I said. It was the truth, she would be.

As if sensing not to prolong our parting, Judith pulled back and stepped to the next person.

“Will you sit with me?” Payton asked me, reaching out her hand to take mine. “Need to sit.”

Making our way to the chair she occupied earlier that day, I fluffed the cushion behind her and helped her ease into it. “Oh Ash, what a day it has been. I hardly know how to feel.” She said keeping her gaze away from mine, fingering the edge of her sleeve. I knew this behavior, and my heart went out to her. Pulling over a few chairs from the table, I placed one on each side of Payton as Eliza came to sit with us as well.

Mr Martin grandly stepped into the house, with the largest smile adorning his face that I had ever seen. It was contagious. He captured the attention of the whole room with it.

“Are you ready to leave?” he coming to stand in front of his new wife. Judith beamed up at him, and something about the moment made my heart squeeze with a slip of jealousy. I had to look away. I wasn’t the only one who looked away, Payton did too. As hard as she tried to hide how she was feeling, she couldn’t, not from me. Hearing the door bang, I reached out and took Payton’s hand again. Eliza caught me doing so and leaned over.

“He will be back this time Payton, don't worry.” Payton smiled tentatively at Eliza, nodded, and placed her free hand over her stomach. Taking in a shaky breath she stroked the hard curve beneath the folds of her dress, which held the growing babe safe inside.

I wasn’t sure exactly how any of this was making her feel. Her father left her only once before, and she didn’t hear from him for eight years. I was there to witness her break apart, and watched as she built herself back up. I suppose, during that time, we all did in our own way. Losing Charlie and then Mrs Martin was a blow to all of us.

“You have Charlie Payt, and me.” I said.

“And me” Eliza added.

“And me” I jumped, not expecting to hear Nash’s voice at that moment. He squatted down in front of Payton. “And when this baby comes, You will have him too.” Removing her hand from her stomach she lovingly placed it on her brothers cheek.

“I am sorry Nash, but I am having a girl. I know it!” Nash smiled widely, showing off a dimple he had at the top of his cheek, just beneath his eye. He leaned over and gave Payton a kiss on her fore head, then looked to me.

“Are you ready to leave?” I wasn’t prepared to spend more time with Nash, or for his question. I had no words, but it didn’t matter. William came through the front door at that moment and I turned my attention to him, just as everyone else did.

“Ahh Eliza, we are ready to leave.” He said. I took this chance and stood to my feet.

“Nash, thank you for your kind offer, but I don’t see the point in you having to come all the way to the house then travel back to yours, tonight. I will leave with Will and, Eliza.” William and Eliza both glanced at me but didn’t say anything.

“I have a lot of things to drop off, as well as the wagon, and Sketch is already strapped to the side of it.” He said, taking me by my elbow. I pulled away. I wasn’t ready, but I had the attention of everyone, including Payton. I didn’t want to make her more worried. So without making a terrible scene, I bent down and kissed Payton on the cheek.