Two Left Feet

Two Left Feet

The sun was behind Payton and Charlie’s house now, not beaming into our eyes as it had been during the ceremony. Even still, emerging from the shelter of the porch, I shielded my eyes from the sudden glare. The season had proved itself unpredictable in years past, but today, it had remained lovely, and bright. A perfect day for a wedding.

Mr Martin had hired a few musicians from town, and the fiddler had everyone who had stayed, dancing and laughing. Glancing around, the guests seemed to be in fine spirits. I really liked to dance, and as hard as I had tried, the happy tunes kept piercing my will to stay stern, and had finally pulled me away from the kitchen.

"Did you scrub every floor board in there Ash?" Payton asked as I came to stand beside her.

"You're very funny Payt." I said. "And to answer your question, no, I didn't scrub your floors." Giving her a sideways glance I smiled "Your kitchen is already very clean. Are you expecting a baby or something?" She laughed at me, then looked to the fiddler when he finished his song. Knowing that just the other day, I had to physically drag her from the stove she insisted wasn’t clean enough for when the baby arrived.

All Payton talked about lately, was having a nice, clean home for when the baby came. Mother said this sort of thing happens to women when they were expecting. I was surprised Payton had been so relaxed this day, and actually let me do what I had thus far. I wouldn't doubt that she would go over everything once I had gone.

Right after the ceremony, I kept myself busy helping with the food, and making sure everything was set just nicely. Then afterwords, I took to washing the dishes. Other ladies had offered, but I turned them away. Just to prolong the inevitable.

Quite a few people who had attended the wedding. Father and Mr Martin made many friends over the years Mother, Payton Will and I lived in England. They were all ready, and willing to help celebrate this fine occasion.

Some of the people I knew, and the rest I had briefly seen in Hobart Town over the years. I spied Eliza and my brother, Will, stepping onto Charlie's make shift dance floor, ready to dance to the next song. Eliza was also expecting but wasn’t as far along as, Payton. Payton could not handle dancing as well as, Eliza.

"Dance with Ash, Charlie." Payton said excitedly. I didn’t plan on actually dancing. I just wanted to watch everyone have fun. I looked to Charlie who was standing on the other side of Payton, and shook my head at him before she had a chance to see me do it.

"I am not sure she wants to." Charlie said, trying to save me, winking at me when his wife looked my way.

"Nonsense, Charlie! Of course she wants to dance, It’s a wedding! Everybody wants to dance at a wedding." She said, grabbing my arm none too gently and linking it through Charlie’s. I inwardly groaned.

"I am sorry." Charlie whispered into my ear as we walked away. I remembered when I first saw Charlie after eight years of being away. He had a gleam in his eye which was the same as the boy that had left us. His firm grip encompassing my hand reminded me very quickly that he was a man, and that I hadn't actually danced with one for some time.