Always you (Flip Zimmerman)

Start from the beginning

That's when he knew he hated himself.

The moment his attempts to forget you were over, he basically threw the girls out. An overwhelming feeling of guilt came over him, falling deeper and deeper. He would stay up all night, tossing and turning while he hugged his pillow. A grown man hugging a pillow and pretending it was you? It was humiliating.

Ron could see how bad he was getting, giving him his routine intervention as they drove back to the station.

"You're not acting like yourself, man." Ron glanced over to Flip in the driver's seat. "Not since-"

"Don't say it." Flip gripped the steering wheel under his grip. He couldn't handle hearing your name, even if it came from his best friend. It was one of those few days where Flip couldn't function, the only thing on his mind was you.

He could barely focus on driving, remembering all the times you two drove together. All the times you would sing along to the radio, blasting it up to cover your horrible attempts of matching the tunes. You serenaded him, burrowing yourself under his arm.

"Flip." Ron yanked him from his thoughts.

"What?" Flip hissed through his teeth, rolling his eyes to himself. The only time he didn't feel like shit while he thought about you and Ron just took it away from him...

"You can't keep doing this." Ron shifted in his seat, turning to face Flip. "You have to know that." Ron's voice was low, trying his best to ease into his weekly lecture.

"You think I like being like this?" Flip shook his head to himself, mumbling curse words under his breath. "After all this time, you don't think I wish I could forget her?" Ron stayed quiet as Flip huffed a breath out.

"I miss her every goddamn day and there's nothing I can do about it." Flip's voice cracked, lifting one of his hands to his head. He ran his fingers through his hair before he reached into his shirt pocket. He was quick to get his cigarettes out, lighting the last in the pack.

He took a long drag, letting the nicotine hit his bloodstream. It only managed to take some of the edge off, still pissed Ron brought this up now.

"I've just never seen you like this, brother." Ron mumbled, breaking the silence in the car.

Flip stopped the car at a stop sign, lowering his head. His hair fell over his face, imagining you were sitting in front of him as you pushed his hair back.

"I know I haven't been there for you." Ron yanked him back to reality, Flip shaking his head as his eyes were back on the road. He drove up the street, pulling into the back of the station now.

"Let's go out tonight." Ron patted Flip's shoulder as the car pulled into one of the many spots.

"No." Flip shook his head. He didn't have enough energy to put on a happy face, putting on a show for anyone. "I just want to stay home."

"Come on, man!" Ron laid his head against the headrest behind him. "Look," This caused Flip to turn his head, looking over to see Ron's smile.

"We can just sit in silence as we drink." Ron cocked his eyebrows up. "We don't have to talk if you don't want to."

Flip puffed his cigarette, exhaling the smoke from his nose. He could feel his nostrils burn as he blinked over to Ron, the idea starting to sound appealing.

"But it's a boy's night." Ron pointed his finger over to Flip. "I don't want you going home with anyone, you hear me?"

"What the fuck." Flip mumbled under his breath.