Chapter 1

Life is not fair. Anyone who said it was, or even that it ought to be is a fool or worse.

I had lived believing in that saying for the rest of my life. The fact was that when I was seventeen, my parents were killed by Hydra. I didn't know why they did such a horrible thing, and had figured I would never know the reason at all. And with my parents gone, they decided to take me with them.

For a couple of months, I had lived under the orders of Hydra. They trained me, run different tests on me, and worst, they tortured me. They were completely insane. There was indeed no terrorist organization more malevolent, nor influential, than Hydra. To combat this threat, S.H.I.E.L.D. rose up as its equal, but opposing, organization. And one day, to my luck, I had escaped, all thanks to them.

S.H.I.E.L.D. took me to their base and gave me an opportunity after seeing me use one of their guns, not with the intention to kill someone, but because of utter frustration. They said I had skills, knew things others didn't, even though I only got there a couple of days, and had proved myself to everyone. I was given a chance to work in the military, with the soldiers, and that was when I met him.

James Buchanan Barnes was a strong and caring soldier. A very sweet soldier, might I add. When we first met, we instantly clicked and, eventually, developed feelings for each other. He was the best man a girl could ever ask for. Everytime he went on missions and wars, he would send me letters. Letters of telling me how much he missed me, and words of promises that he would come back. That he couldn't wait to see me again.

But that never happened.

Sadly, life was not always fair for me. It never would be. I was starting to believe that I was finally having the life I always wanted; being happy, free, and contented that I had Bucky, my soldier, as a family.

Until one day, the Hydra incident happened, and I was taken by them yet again.