Chapter 8

After many hours of deliberation, Sarah and I had come up with nothing useful to help me get over Aaron. At first I thought that if I tried to find a flaw of Aaron's that I couldn't deal with then I'd get over him easy, like if he but then I realised I was fooling myself. There was pretty much no flaw with Aaron that I would have had a problem with accepting. Unless of course he was someone like Dexter with the secret life as a serial killer, but considering Aaron fainted at the sight of blood, I somehow doubted that theory. Sarah suggested I go and look for some other guy to take my mind off him, but I shot down that idea too. Any of the decent guys in school already had girlfriends, or were gay, or otherwise unavailable. Even if there was some guy around, I just knew I'd always be comparing him to the school's hooker. Hehe, saying that just then gave me the image of Aaron in fishnets and a mini-skirt, as opposed to him lining out on the pitch with his teammates. I needed to grow up, that pun really shouldn't have brought me as much amusement as it did.

No matter what idea we proposed, someone was going to end up hurt. At this stage I'd kinda resigned myself to the fact that it was going to be me. It was the best option for everyone, really. Why did I have trouble accepting that, though? Why couldn't I just put my head down and focus on every other aspect in my life, besides dwelling on the one guy I couldn't have? I knew the answer, but I just didn't want to accept it. I didn't want to accept the fact that it was a case of Eve and the forbidden fruit, when in reality it would be hard to come up with a better modern day comparison.

At least today was the last day before the holidays. After that, I wouldn't see him for two whole weeks. I was really hoping that the saying 'out of sight, out of mind' proved to be true, and I would actually move on this time. I wasn't placing a whole lot of faith in that though. As is often said, the heart wants what the heart wants, unfortunately.

At that precise moment, Grace and I had just walked out of Chemistry and were on our way to the main hall to prepare for the final charity event, the school talent show. My event. Each member of the council had to choose an event they wished to work on in October and while most people went for the mystery event, as it was always the one people were most interested in, I'd always chosen the talent show. I didn't fully know why, but I did know nothing beat the feeling I'd get when everyone was talking about the acts that stood out, knowing that without my hard work, those artists might've gone unnoticed and without the recognition they deserve. The sense of pride I get from it is unlike any other. I did realise of course that to be honest it was no major deal, that people would get along just fine without any talent show, but it still gave me a somewhat misplaced sense of pride all the same.

"So, I'll check on the stage and the collections and you're going to deal with the contestants, right?" I asked Grace, looking over at her as we manoeuvred our way through the packed halls. For the past four years, Grace and I had been working on the talent show together, but this was the first year we were in charge, something we were really excited about. It would be a year to remember, that was for sure.

"Yup, sure thing. I'm actually looking forward to seeing everyone's reactions. There are some amazing contestants this year. It's going to be the best yet!"

"Well I wouldn't know because someone wanted it to be a surprise for me," I said, narrowing my eyes at her.

"I'm not sorry either, it's going to be worth it." She told me with a grin. Grace had come up with the brainwave that in order to make it a little more interesting for all of us, there was one part of the project that each person had to be excluded from. For me, it was the contestants, for Grace it was the set, and so on. It didn't bother me too much though, truth be told. I hated having to endure the torture of the auditions where the contestants couldn't actually sing or dance but despite this thought they were the next big thing. It was simply awful. I didn't like bringing people down and making them feel bad, but in some cases you'd just had to be honest with them and as they say, the truth hurts.