Battered Heart

Maxime Jaz - Battered heart

"Drew?" That voice tainted with sleep. "Do you know the time here?"

I do. "No... I'm sorry... should I call you back when it's daytime there?"

Exasperated sigh, but his voice softened. "No... I'm awake now. What do you want?"

You... "I'm packing...", leaving a pause, but there was only silence at the other end of the world. "So... I am not sure about some things..."

"Just take what you want. We've been through this?"

"Yeah... but that photo of us on your desk..."

"I don't want to keep any photos of us, I told you."

"I thought... that maybe..."

"Drew? Just pack what you want."

That tension in that voice he loved so much, but he was not ready to cut the call, not yet. Talk to me more... "Ok... what about Barney?" Scratching the chocolate Labrador's ear, their dog sprawled on his lap in that empty living room littered with boxes. Their smiles still on the walls, pictures of their perfect life. He swallowed, waiting, his heart hammering so hard, it beat into that quiet evening, the sun drowning in its orange blood.

His voice, after an eternity of waiting. "What about him?"

"Do you want to keep him?"

A deep sigh. "No. We also talked about this. I don't have time for the dog."

"Our dog... he will miss you..." I will miss you. I miss you. Come home.

"Dogs forget fast. He is your dog now. I ordered his food though, will send it to you. Just text me your new address."

"I already did..."

"Ah, true. Sorry. I had a hard day." Impatient a bit, yawning. "Anything else?"

Opening up that door to whatever clumsy words he had on his mind when he knew he should just keep quiet. "Trey... Trey, are you sure?"

"About the dog? Yes."

"No... Us... about us..."

"Drew... for fuck's sake... not now..."

"Just... just turn the camera on..." Let me see that sleepy face one more time, your lips I used to kiss in the morning, your eyes...

"No... Don't make this even more difficult..."

"It's difficult? For you?" That flame of hope, floating a bit on his words.

"Yeah, it is... I am not the heartless jerk you think I am."

"You're not a jerk."

"This is for the best, right? I work too much, I am constantly away on business trips, and you need attention and care and love, and all the kisses and cuddles for your silly little loving heart, and I am not the man for it... right?"

Choking back that sob, his tears pearled down to the dog's thick coat. Meeting those droopy eyes, a lick on his hand. "Right..." I love you. I love you. I love you. Silent screams, echoing in his broken heart. Don't make it more difficult...

"So, all is well. Just pack. Don't think. You will get over it, Drew. You're a great guy."

His heart burned, torn by his words. "Yeah... but not great enough for you."

"Don't start."

"We were good together."

"We were." Sighing. "But this was not going anywhere. Better split before we waste more time."