1. Adoption

Another paint stroke of green and her fourth painting was completed. This time, she painted a white lily.

For girls her age, she was exceptional at art. Her paintings were hung across the hall of the second floor of her orphanage—St. John's.

It was an orphanage that held older girls, around the ages of 6-10. The girls lived there until an adult went over to adopt one of them, and give them a happy home that they long for.

Oh how Esther longed for a home. But not to become a daughter.

But to become a wife, and a mother.

She wasn't given such a blessing. She was cursed with a dwarfism disorder, which made her adult body stay small, and resemble a child for life. And she hated her body. Her thighs would still be matured, her breasts would be more adapted, and her hips would be more noticeable. That's why she was thankful the orphanage made them wear dresses; so she could hide her adult parts.

No man would want a woman who looked like a child. How could anyone? She's known that for years. The thoughts clouded her mind but she always shoved them away. Especially after she heard about a couple planning to potentially adopt a child.

Esther looked out the window of the empty classroom, checking to see if said couple had arrived. She noticed a black car, pull in through the snowy driveway of the orphanage. Out stepped a man and woman, who seemed to be in their mid-thirties.

Esther stared at the man, to who she thought was quite attractive. A small bit of stubble, but brown hair, and dark eyes. The woman was quite pretty too, though. Esther stared at her in disgust.

She felt a flare of jealousy rise up in her chest. She hated her for some reason. Though, she also hated the wife of the other man she attempted to seduce. Because they had a loving husband, and even a loving family. Maybe even children.

Esther noticed the woman start to look at the window, and ducked down quickly. Making sure she wasn't caught. Knowing that the family was there, she got to work. Moving the finished piece off her easel (is that what it's called?), she placed it on an empty desk for it to dry, and got out a different painting that she's still working on.

Esther could paint all day. Her paintings were made up by the stories she made as her brush danced on the board. And it wasn't like anyone else could stop her, the only time she stopped was to sleep, eat, go outside, or have a bath. That was all. 

Esther stopped painting upon the sound of two girls giggling, running down the stairs. She looked back to the door in which no one stood, before turning back to her work.

She almost forgot about the party that was being held downstairs. For what reason? She didn't knew, nor did she care. The parties were quite pointless, she didn't find a need for them. That and the fact that no one talked to her. She was like the stereotypical quiet kid in a classroom. Except she wasn't mute, and she wasn't more of a badass then she was of a murderer.

Singing a song to try and attract the attention of either partners, she dipped her paintbrush into a glob of yellow paint, starting to draw an animal.

How funny, the song she was singing - 'The Glory Of Love' - was meant to show everyone that love was everywhere. Love was everywhere for everyone, except Esther.

She will never be able to have a child, nor a loving husband. And that's what made her broken beyond repair.

It only took minutes of painting before she could hear the heavy steps of shoes walking through the second floor hallway. It must've been the husband.

She stopped her singing for a moment to call out to whoever was by the door.

"Hello?"

The footsteps that creaked away stopped, and she heard the door slowly open. She didn't look behind her, as she was focused on her painting.