Chapter.31 Goodbye high school!

Start from the beginning

"Yeah dad?" I asked. He looked sad. "Are you okay?"

"Just a little sad. You know, my little girl is graduating today." He smiled, hugging me.

"I know dad. But what's up? I kind of have to be in there soon. It's a little important."

He laughed. "I won't take too long. I just wanted to let you know, no matter how old you get, you will always be my little girl. And even though I don't approve of all your decisions," He smirked. I knew he meant Matt. "I still love you. No matter what. You always have your mom and I to fall back on no matter what. I will love and support you through anything."

I felt a tear trickle down my cheek as I looked into my loving father's eyes. His sudden change in emotion shocked me. My hope in him and Matt getting along in the future, sky rocketed.

"Dad . . . thank you. Thank you so much." I smiled and ran into him for a hug.

"I love you Nicole," He whispered.

"Love you too Dad."

"Nicole?" I heard my mom call.

"Yeah, coming!" I smiled, whipping the remains of the tears. My dad looked at me and smiled, patted my back and held the door open for me.

"Go get that diploma," He said. I nodded with a big smile and headed off to where the other students were.

"Nicole!" Matt called to me, smiling. He ran over wearing the yellow sash that the valedictorian wears.

"Matt! What are you doing? Do you want to get kicked out of your graduation?" I frowned. This was not the time to be playing jokes.

"What are you talking about?" He asked, curious.

"You stole it," I pointed to his sash.

He laughed out loud, throwing his head back and then hugged me. "Nic, this is the first part of my surprise. I couldn't wait to tell you! I am the valedictorian!" He gleamed.

"Oh my gosh!" I jumped up and down, hugging him. "That's amazing! I'm so proud of you!" I kissed his cheek and then he pulled me back for a kiss on the lips.

"Palmer, Mullaney! Get in line! We are starting!" A teacher scolded us. "There will be plenty of time to . . . socialize later."

"Can't wait to see you walk across the stage," He whispered to me as we walked to the lines of students.

"Can't wait to hear your speech," I winked. He kissed me one last time before walked to his spot in line.

I was standing there all calm and ready, when someone poked me in the arm pit.

"AH!" I jumped.

"Shh! Relax!" Christina giggled. "I just wanted to say hi before we graduate!" She gleamed. I hugged her and then held her hand.

"This is it," I looked at her.

"We're actually growing up," She smirked, elbowing me.

"Yeah we are," I looked at her stomach and then back at her. She rolled her eyes, smiling.

"Raffi, don't make me kick you out! How many times do I have to walk you back in line?" Mrs. Smith yelled. She hated Christina.

"I'm one diploma away from never seeing this woman again," She whispered to me. I couldn't help but crack a smile.

"Let's go!"

"Coming! Love you babe," She looked back over her shoulder. I just waved to her, shaking my head.

"Welcome parents, friends, and families to our class of 2012 graduation!" The principal said. "It has been an honor to see these shining faces every day. I've truly enjoyed all the time I have spent with all of our seniors and I know they will all do amazing things out there in the world. Now, it is my pleasure to welcome to the stage, this years valedictorian, Mr. Matthew Palmer!"

The whole audience erupted into cheers and clapping. I smiled, clapping along with them, so proud for my boyfriend. He walked out on the stage, looking as handsome as ever, but a little nervous. I was surprised. He's spoken in front of bigger crowds.

"Uh, hi. Yeah, I'm Matthew Palmer and I'm sure most of you know that. Now, I'm not going to stand here and say that I wanted to go back to school for me. Because I didn't. My agents thought it would be a good idea if 'Mr. popular' went back to school to try and be a real boy." He laughed.

I was shocked with everything he was saying. I had no idea his agents wanted him to go to school. I guess this was the second part of his surprise.

"But . . ." he sighed. "Damn am I happy they made me!" He laughed and so did every one else in the place. "In the past year and a half that I've been here, I've experienced things I never thought I would. A best friend that I might get into fights with, but at the end of the day, I love you man!" He smiled and pointed to Evan in the wings of the stage.

"I even have a best friend whose a girl," He rolled his eyes and the crowd chuckled. "Yes guys. It is possible," He smiled at Christina. "I even found someone who loves me for me, not the actor. Someone who stood by me through my rough moments, and continues to stand by me to this day." He found me off stage and smiled. I felt like crying. I was so happy. Happy for Matt, happy my dad's okay with us, and happy that my boyfriend, the man I love, is basically confessing his love for my on stage in front of hundreds of people.

"So, in the long run, I found out that adults actually do know what they are talking about and I'm glad I finally realized before I missed my chance at the strangely perfect high school experience. So, here's to us, class of 2012. We did it! Now let's get the hell out of here!" He finished, smiling as he stepped down from the podium.

The audience thundered with applause. Matt walked, half ran off the stage, looking for something. Or someone. He flew past the teacher's asking where he was going and locked eyes with me. He seemed to sigh and smile at the same time.

He jogged over to where I was standing in line and took my hands.

"Now, for the graduating class of 2012!" I heard the principal announce on the speakers.

"Nicole," Matt said, out of breath.

"Matt! You did great! I loved you speech, especially the part about . . . well me," I blushed and he smirked but then got serious.

"Nicole, I have to ask you something and I don't have a lot of time," He looked back to the next person receiving their diploma.

"Okay . . . what is it?" I asked, raising my eyebrow.

He cleared his throat and looked down.

"Matt what's going on?"

"Just wait a second," He rolled his eyes and smirked. I waited. He reached his hand into his pocket at the same time . . . he went down on one knee.

"Matt--"

"Nicole," He smiled, opening the little black velvet box. Inside was the most gorgeous diamond ring I have ever seen anywhere. I could feel my eyes pop out of my head. I gasped. Was he really doing this? Right now? We didn't even graduate high school yet.

And then he said the words . . .

"Will you marry me?"