Chapter 1- The Shark, the Dancer, and the Caterpillar

"RING RING GET UP MANLY MA-" *click*

"Ughhhhh I forgot to turn that off. Dammit, who knew I'd wake up on my first day to Kirishima's goddamn voice," I roll my eyes, just now remembering that I had asked him jokingly to set an alarm on my phone for me to wake up. When we found out we were in the same class, we went out for celebratory ice cream.

Kiri was actually the first person I told about being trans, about a year ago. His exact words were, and I quote, "YOOO! My favorite dudette just turned into my best bro! HOW MANLY!!!" And proceeded to give me the chokehold of a lifetime.

Let's just say if I were a wizard, that'd be the memory to summon my patronus.

My phone suddenly starts buzzing violently in my hand, almost making me drop my phone from the reality check.

"Speak of the Devil," I mutter, hitting the green video call button on the screen.

"Y/N!! Are you ready for our first day?? It's so exciting!!! But I'm also so nervous and I-"

"KIRI!!"

"Eh?"

"YOU DYED YOUR HAIR??" I yell, looking at the stop-sign-red head of porcupine spikes. "WHEN DID THIS HAPPEN???"

"Oh heh that," he mutters, his face turning almost as red as his hair. "Well, I dyed it yesterday. It helps me feel very manly. I feel ready to take on ANYTHING!!!"

I chuckle at his enthusiasm. "Well, it looks amazing!! Who knew you'd look good as a redhead, hm?"

When he doesn't reply, I shrug a little. "Anyway, thanks for check in, we'll talk more in class! I've gotta get ready," I tell him.

"Ha, you better! I'm already here, the school is freaking gigantic!" He yells. "I can't wait to be a hero!!! And I get to with my favorite bro, PLUS ULTRA!!"

"Plus ultra!!" I say back to him, giving him a rock n' roll sign as I hang up. "Gods, he's my favorite."

-Time skip brought to you by the best dancer in 1A-

Sure, I came here a couple days ago, but holy shit, the sheer size of the building still gives me chills. I stand with my back squared, so confident because of my flat chest. I waited until this morning to try it on and I tell you when I say it was worth the wait-

"Y/n!!" I hear a familiar voice yell from behind me, snatching me from my thoughts. "I can't believe it! You're actually early!"

I turn around to see a pink-skinned girl hopping onto the sidewalk with little yellow horns and black scleras. She had on the same uniform I did, but instead of a pair of pants, she was wearing leggings and a skirt. "Pshhh you're one to talk. You got late to class as much as me back in middle school. If not more so!" We share a bit of a laugh. "It's good to see you again Mina! I can't believe we both got accepted!!"

"EEEEEE I KNOW!!!" She yells, tackling me with a giant hug and spinning us around, drawing a bit of attention from the other people hovering outside waiting for the doors to open. "Also," she whispers in my ear, low enough so only I could hear it but loud enough I could hear the excitement in her voice, "I'm so happy you got the boy's uniform!!"

Mina knows, obviously. I told her once I found out we were both going to UA. I was planning on asking Nezu to only refer to me as who I am rather than who I thought I was, and I didn't want any confusion on the first day. She was overwhelmingly supportive, and we became pretty close after that.

I pull out of the hug and beam at her. "I know!!" I say back, pulling on the deep-ass pockets in the dark green pants. "Nezu even got me a proper binder! I didn't ask, he just did!!" I add on with a whisper.