Chapter 14

By the week's end Alastor had completely recovered and the very minute he announced his engagement to Charlotte the entire house hold made preparations for the wedding. Niffty cleaned and decorated the entire house from top to bottom, Husk saw to it that a proper minister was reserved and that all invitations were sent out to the right people. Now normally when a land owner or anyone else high in rank was to wed, he would invite as many people as possible to give himself a better reputation and to show off his vast wealth. But Alastor was not a pretentious man and he cared more for sincerity than favor so he only invited his trusted friends, neighbors, and servants to the occasion.

Finding another cook to make the wedding feast was no trouble and per request of the bride and groom, venison jambalaya was to be among the delicacies and the wedding cake was to be apple flavored. The best aged wine and whisky would be served, the halls would be cleared for music and dancing, and as for Charlotte's wedding gown the couple had a special seamstress chosen to make it.

Rosie, Alastor's aunt had often told him how she always dreamed of making a wedding gown for his mother when she got married but sadly that never came to pass. So Alastor promised her that if he ever got married he would try to convince his future wife to let Rosie sew the dress. When he first mentioned the idea to Charlotte he was worried that she would much prefer an expensive dress from one of those stores that women of the rich and elite would shop at but to his surprise she loved the idea.

So Rosie was invited to come a week early and when Husk saw her at the door he was startled by her homely clothes and rough appearance. He assumed that she was a homeless wanderer or beggar.

"May I help you?" He asked her.

"Is this the Devalcourt estate?" She asked.

"It is."

"I am here to see my nephew Alastor."

"You're Alastor's aunt?" He said looking at her skeptically.

"I am. I have my invitation to his wedding in here somewhere."

Rosie began to check herself for the slip of paper she had received, asking for her presence at the occasion but she could find no trace of it.

"Oh dear. It would seem that I left it home by mistake."

"In that case I can't let you in." Husk said.

"But I'm his aunt. His only living family member. He's expecting me and he'll be so dreadfully disappointed if I'm not at the wedding."

"Uh-huh. Sure." Husk said not believing her. "I'm sorry but no invitation, no entry."

"Excuse me but I would reconsider turning me away if I were you. My nephew is quite fond of me and if he discovers I couldn't witness his marriage because of you he will be very cross."

"Lady I think you might be a little confused because you see my master has never mentioned having an aunt."

"Are you saying I'm lying?"

"Either that or you've drinking bayou water. Now look I can't have homeless people causing trouble here. Especially so close to my master's big day so I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

"But I was invited."

"You're really testing my patience here ma'am. Now go on before I-"

"Auntie Rosie!" Cried the cheerful voice of Alastor has he went to greet the woman at the door with a hug. "So happy that you could make it."

"Oh Alastor, you didn't think I would actually miss your wedding? It's the first wedding I've ever been invited to." She teased before returning a hug.