Sudoku [fluff]

"Hey babe," Morgan said when he walked in, seeing Reid on the couch. He looked up at him and with a sweet smile, he quietly said hello. He'd gotten a migraine at work and left early, going to their shared apartment.

The lights were turned low and he was cuddled up on the couch with a hot tea and a book in hand. Morgan thought it was a paperback novel, but then Reid picked up a pencil and filled in something in the book.

Then Morgan noticed a box of colored pencils (in rainbow order) that were placed behind Reid's tea on the couch-side pillow.

Once Morgan had gotten his coat off and put his bag down, he sat down on the couch, slyly putting an arm around Reid's bony shoulders.

He took a peek at the book, seeing an odd array of numbers in a 9-by-9 square, with 9 squares inside that square. The bolded numbers all had out-lined boxes that matched the rainbow (ie. 1s were red).

To say the least, Morgan was pretty confused. He assumed Reid was practicing some sort of code. "Whatcha doing?" Morgan asked, still looking at the numbers on the page.

Reid filled in a number on the page before speaking. "Just some sudoku," He said nonchalantly.

"What's that?" Morgan asked.

"Wait, you've never heard of sudoku? Reid asked, generally surprised that Derek, being the intelligent man that he was, had never heard of sudoku.

"Apparently not

"Oh wow, do you want me to show you?" Reid asked, tucking a strand of hair behind his ear and turning to Derek.

"Sure, how bad can it be?" Morgan said jokingly, looking at Reid.

Little did he know, it could be very bad.

"Okay, so sudoku was created in the 18th century by a Swiss mathematician named Leonhard Eulu where a number in a grid appears only once, across, up, and down. " Reid said as he pulled the coffee table closer and flattened the Sudoku book on the table.

"Wait let me get another book. " Reid went into their bedroom and retrieved a purple book. He flattened that book on the table and started to explain the game.

"So, I usually color-code the numbers, but you don't have to," Reid said as he grabbed the colored pencil box and hastily colored in the numbers. "Okay so the goal is to fill all the boxes with the number and it can't be the same and on in the rows squares or columns. So this one would be a 4 since there isn't a 4 in that box or column, but the two other rows have 4s." He filled in the bottom left square with a four in the left corner.

-About an hour later-

"Ugh Reid, I give up!" Derek tiredly laid back on the couch. Reid looked up from his own sudoku book. Morgan could see a cheeky smile form on Reid's face.

"Oh, what's so funny?" He said, mostly jokingly, but slightly annoyed at his boyfriend's reaction.

"Well, Derek Morgan giving up isn't something you see every day," Reid said, putting his book aside. "And not even asking for help." Reid sits closer to Derek, looking at the problem in front of him.

"Oh, I see," He said after a few seconds. "You just mixed up your 2 and 9s." Reid pointed where Derek had mixed them up."Other than that, you're good." Morgan looked at Reid, still after all these years of knowing him, amazed at Reid's genius.

"Thanks, babe," Morgan gave Reid a quick peck on the forehead. He was able to finish the puzzle in a few minutes after Reid's help.

"I'm gonna make some dinner now, 'kay?" Morgan said as he got up, heading to the kitchen. Reid nodded as he looked intently at his book, lost in a sea of numbers and boxes.

Morgan made some simple mac and cheese, too tired to put real effort into cooking something else. He cut up some broccoli, though, and added it for some health.

Once he was done, he brought it to Reid and sat down with his own. Reid put down his book and they had a simple conversation, talking about random things that somehow reminded him of the 1963 animated Sword in The Stone.

He insisted on watching it, and once he finished the dishes, they cuddled up on the couch, Reid falling asleep about 30 minutes into the film.

Morgan turned off the TV, carried Reid to their bed, and changed into his pajamas. He slid underneath the covers pulling Reid close to him. It only took him a couple of minutes to fall asleep, drifting off into a restful sleep.