‘Together.’

She felt sick for a moment.

“Lady? What’s wrong with your face?”

“Huh?”

Maribelle blinked. Pepper, who had just been admiring how luxurious the framing was, walked back to Maribelle and looked worried.

In other words, Maribelle was so lost in thought that she didn’t notice the changes in her expression until Pepper called out. That was embarrassing.

Pepper had made it her new goal to overprotect Maribelle, whom she met after a long time. She only released Maribelle after touching her hand on Maribelle’s forehead as if measuring heat, measuring Maribelle’s pulse, and wrapping Maribelle’s soft cheeks with her hands.

“I don’t think there’s a fever—Why don’t we take a walk if you don’t feel comfortable?”

“Uhm. Shall we—?”

Maribelle nodded, blinking her eyes blankly, and when she saw Pepper’s anxious expression, she leaned her forehead against Pepper’s shoulder. She felt so cozy. She was a little awkward at first, but feeling love for the first time in a long time was not so unfamiliar, so Maribelle raised her arms  and hugged Pepper’s waist.

Even if she said ‘hugged’, she was too tall to actually wrap her arms around Pepper’s waist, but it was enough.

“I thought our lady was all grown up, but you still have a young side like this.”

“I’m all grown up.”

“Of course, of course. You’re all grown up. My lady.”

Pepper’s mouth was filled with laughter. Maribelle, whose face was buried in Pepper’s arms, showed an invisible smile. There’s nothing she can do about it, but Maribelle didn’t want to lower her arms. If Pepper hadn’t hugged and let go of Maribelle as if she were struggling with this hug, Maribelle might have kept holding on like that until sunset.

Pepper smiled at Maribelle, whose cheeks were flushed with warmth, and rolled up the shawl she was wearing and wrapped it over Maribelle’s shoulders.

“Even if it’s inside the palace, wear it well because it’s cold.”

“Alright.”

“Right, let’s see. It would be nice if you wore gloves, a shawl, and a coat. But I’m sure that’s uncomfortable, right?”

“That’s enough. Thank you, Pepper.”

When Maribelle smiled, Pepper’s mouth spread into a smile as well. She had never forgotten that bright smile.

“Go out and come back soon, my lady.”