Chapter 26

*Smut warning*

*A few hours later*

Fred and Athena were still snuggled up with each other on the large hospital bed watching some muggle documentary on a man known by the name of Jeffrey Dahmer.

Right as the credits rolled, Fred voiced, "So let me get this straight, this guy lured men into his house with the promise of money or sex then gave them alcohol laced with drugs, then strangle them to death. He would engage in sexual intercourse with the corpses before disposing of them and often would keep the skull or genitals as a souvenir?"

Fred turned to face his mate.

"Pretty much sums it up, yea," Athena joked.

"Who would do such a thing? I much prefer my hookups to be alive, and to enjoy it!"

He tickled Athena until she was laughing and couldn't breathe.

"Ahh! Freddie! Stop!"

Fred giggled along with her.

"What's the safe word?"

"Freddie! Ahh! Fred... You can't be serious!"  She giggled back.

"I most certainly am not! I'm Freddie!" He laughed as he continued tickling her. "What's the safe worrrrd?"

"Cinnamon!" She blurted out between laughs. Fred stopped and smiled at his mate. He could sense happiness and joy radiating off of her.

He loved her unconditionally, so much that no word could even come close to describing how he felt towards the woman next to him. Then he remembered why they were in a hospital bed.

'It was my fault.' 'Why didn't I pay attention to her?' 'I'm not good enough.' 'She deserves so much better.' Thoughts swirled in his mind of how he didn't deserve the beauty next to him.

"Hey, are you alright?" Athena asked, bring the redhead out of his thoughts. Fred turned to face his mate a smile that was almost always there was gone and instead was replaced with a frown. "Freddie, what's wrong?"

Fred was silent for a moment, thoughts swirled in his mind, silently debating if he should ask her.

“Am I good enough for you?”

The question surprised Athena.

“Of course you are Freddie.” She paused and asked, “W- why do you ask?” Worry flowed through her body, wondering where the sudden question came from. It was silent for a few minutes, Fred didn't have to tune into her senses to figure out what she was feeling, the worry was written in her eyes, and her voice definitely made it known that she was slightly scared of his question.

“I- wel- I-,” he stumbled over his words and paused to take a deep breath in the hope to regain the words that ran through his mind. “I'm the reason you in this stupid hospital bed in the first place, why your cooped up in this room, why you can't even go to the bathroom without me.” Fred could feel a lump in his throat, the tears beginning to form in his eyes, his voice trembles, and his hands slightly shaken up. “Thena, y-you should've seen yourself. Y- you were in so much pain and I- I couldn't do anything about it, I didn't know what was g- going to happen to you. I thought you were gonna l- leave me.” He blinked and tears began to fall down his cheeks.

Athena didn't know what to say, she was speechless, no words were forming in her thoughts. A shaky hand cupped Fred's cheek and wiped the tears that continued to stream down. “Freddie, it's not your fault-”

“But it is Athena, I should have noticed your discomfort-”

“How were you supposed to know? Bloody hell, I didn't even know,” Tears were now flowing down her own cheeks. “I don't blame you for this, not one bit,” Fred engulfed the teary blonde in his arms, his chin resting on top of her hair, Athena's arms wrapped around Fred and they stayed like that until both of them calmed down until there were no more tears shed.