chapter thirty six.

Ben parked in front of the Donovan house. As the headlights turned off, Claudia was eager to take her seatbelt off and eat as much ice cream as she could before her mom and Edward came back from their date. Ben was a bit nervous to run into Janis if he was being honest. She was described as a loud, but caring and honest person by both Claudia and Edward. Claudia also told him the story about the desk Janis had thrown out the window.

But Claudia assured him that he and Janis would get along quick as long as he didn't mention anything that had to do with Detroit. Ben thought Claudia was joking when she told him that, he even laughed. But his laughs were silenced when he noticed the serious look on Claudia's face.

"It's not much, but I get to call it home," Claudia smiled at the old house. She grew too attached to the home that if one day Janis ever told her that they had to sell it, Claudia would find a way to buy it. She couldn't leave her childhood home.

"It looks cosy. I like it," Ben replied. This time, he was the first one out of the car. He raced to the other side so he could open the car door for Claudia instead of her opening herself. "Miss Donovan." He smirked as she exited the car.

"Stop it right there, English man. Only my students can call that!" She pointed a finger at him menacingly, but it only made Ben laugh.

"Okay, okay, no more Miss Donovan. Then what can I call you?" Ben asked.

Claudia took his hands and dragged him all the way to the front door with a giant smile on her face. When they reached the door, Claudia turned to face him. Their faces were inches apart, making both of their hearts beat faster. Suddenly Claudia felt like she was in high school again, sneaking her boyfriend into the house in true the front door and maybe they would succeed. But she knew that it was too good to be through. But she wanted to enjoy the moment.

"I'm not sure yet. I guess we'll have to wait," she whispered.

"Then I'll wait for as long as I have to."

He slowly started to lean in, Claudia doing the same. Ben only focused on her, which was a mistake since the door had suddenly opened revealing Edward with a confused face. Claudia looked away, hiding her smile with the back of her hand while Ben looked nervous, mostly embarrassed. He tried to act casual, but Edward was believing his act.

"I sense I interrupted something," Edward backed away then ran to the living room where Janis layed on the floor with her arms and legs were spread out and her eyes were closed. "honey, wake up, i made a mistake!" Edward shook her body.

"Told you buying that gumball machine on Craigslist was not a good idea. Is someone out there looking for their gumball machine, Edward? Do I need to get the bat?" Janis said as she remained in the same position she had been for the past hour.

"What? No! I am not giving up my gumball machine! You know I've always wanted one!" Edward whisper-yelled. "I was going out to the car to grab my monopoly I have and i see-"

Finally Janis opened her eyes and sat up on the floor. "Wait, wait. You have monopoly in your car?"

"Yeah . . . Why wouldn't i?" Edward asked confused on why would Janis question him for having his favorite board game in his car. Even Layna had questioned him when she was realized the board was in the backseat.

"Hmm, okay, whatever. You don't surprise me anymore at this point," Janis went back to her original place on the floor. But Edward continued to shake her body so she opened her eyes and sat up again. "What is it, Eduardo?"

"Funny, my mom used to call me that when she was mad at me." He chuckled. Then he noticed Janis tilted her head and glared at him. "Oh. I see what's going on."

"At least you're aware. Now, what is it?" Janis sighed, running a hand through her hair.

"I might've interrupted your daughter and her potential new boyfriend and worse of all, I think they were going to kiss." Edward said in a low voice.

Janis' eyes widened. "You interrupted Claudia and my son-in-law?!"

"Janis, they're not even married . . ."

"I don't care. He's part of the family already," She rolled her eyes at him. "i like having people around. Growing up i was always alone."

"I know, but at least you have me, Layna, Claudia and now Ben," Edward poked her side. "Admit it. If you had the chance to adopt every person with a shitty life, you would call yourself their mom."

"You know me so well, Eduardo" Janis missed his cheek.

An: wrote the majority of this on my lunch break :)

stay hydrated guys, gals and nonbinary pals <3

and a happy birthday to all the may bitches who celebrate/celebrated their birthday on the month of may

hehe mine is tomorrow ;)