The Decision

Clara Schmidt POV

I pulled my head out of those thoughts and looked at the wall behind Mrs. and Mr. Afton. I took a deep breath gathering the courage to speak. I'd made up my mind within a few seconds.

"I'm not ready to get married. Or even think about having children." I spoke the last sentence looking at Mother. "I know you want grandchildren.. but like Will said.. We're 18. We just got out of high school. Give us a few years at least."

I stared at her, attempting to find the emotion she's masking behind those icy blue eyes. The longer it stayed quiet the faster my heart beat. I admit I was scared. For the first time in almost nineteen years I defended myself. And in front of others at that. She was either going to kill me when we got home or she was gonna smack me and tell me off. Knowing her, it'd be the later.

Viktoria Schmidt POV

I stared at my daughter. I kept my expression normal but inside I was so proud. I'd never be able to tell her that though, so I stayed quiet, tried to think of the best way to respond. 

The longer I stared into her pleading eyes the more I realized I had become my own mother. She forced me to get married at 17, this of course was still legal back then, especially since she was friends with the judge. I hated Lucian, I hated him more when I had Clara. I tried to hate her. I spent the last 18 years ignoring  her existence as much as I could. Now I realize how wrong I'd been. 

I looked over to Lucielle, she gave me a look and I knew what she wanted. I gave her a nod and looked back to our children. Clara's eyes on me never faltered once, it wasn't clear whether or not she'd give in though. William however, he was tense, his hands balled into fists on his knees and his determined glare switching between me and Lucielle. You could tell he knew the decision was up to the two women, up to me.

"Fine. We'll continue with the agreement, and come back to your marriage in two years."  I kept my tone calm, almost casual, definitely professional. 

I held back my smile as I watched both teens physically relax back into there seat and exchange glances of relief. The conversation moved on quickly and I got lost talking to Luci.

William Afton POV

I waited about fifteen minutes before standing up and excusing both me and Clara. I said we'd be out back in the tree house and walked out of the sitting room behind her.

I climbed into the worn out building Mr. Schmidt and Mr. Emily built for the three of us when we were toddlers. It was well aged and always smelt like tree sap and wet wood. It wasn't very big, maybe 6x7ft, 5 feet tall. Henry and I had outgrown it during 5th grade, Clara during 7th. Although we'd outgrown the little tree house years ago that never stopped the four of us from crawling in and laying limbs across each other. The tree house was our safe space, it was home for us. Inside the tree house our parents couldn't get us, couldn't hurt us.

I settled on a few of the small pillows we'd captured from thrift stores and garage sales during the summer and let out a deep sigh, releasing the tension and anger that had festered during our time in the house. I gave a slight smile, that being all I could manage at the moment, to Clara who'd seated herself in the opposite corner.

"Sorry for putting you on the spot like that Lar." I swiftly apologized for my recent actions, my faint smile turning apologetic.

"It's alright Willy." Her voice was chipper as usual but there was a hint of something else. "If you hadn't we'd be planning for a wedding right now. At least we have a chance to escape now." I watched as she smiled.

Clara always did love adventure so her smile was expected. I watched as she got lost in thought, most likely imagining all the fun ways we could all run away together, go somewhere they'd never be able to find us.