XIX. Found His Mate

Start from the beginning

Finally, when I finished reading the last love letter, Kai fell asleep. I had found out two things. One, English back then was not the same English as now. Two, these are my great grandparents' love letters. I decide to show them to my parents once Kai's dilemma is over.

I gather up all the letters and pack them inside the box. Once it's all organized, I walk back towards the hole inside the closet cabinets. When the moonlight bursts into the room, my eyes automatically squint when I see a sparkle. "How ominous for the moonlight to shine this bright," I whisper to myself. It feels like the start of a horror movie.

One step after another, I walk towards the hole again. I place the box on the ground and dig my hand inside the hole. If this were a movie, I would be the girl who got swallowed by the beast. Instead of getting swallowed, I managed to pull out a box with a necklace and ring inside. Hopefully, it's real without any sentimental value so that I can sell it off.

I shine the red jewelries in the moonlight.

"Pretty," I mumbled.

"Pretty dangerous too." Of course, something like this that's hidden underneath a locked box inside the attic that seems to be purposely hidden from the world isn't necessarily a good sign. It's definitely a bad omen. "I'm selling you first thing tomorrow."

There may be a possibility that it's a family heirloom that got lost in the generational line, but it seems a bit too mysterious. Then again, if it is cursed, they wouldn't hide it in the attic closet underneath a box. I pat the inside of the cabinet closet to see if there is anything else.

Nope. Nothing.

"Hm," I stare at the necklace and ring a bit longer. "Fine. I'll keep you. But, if you start whispering to me at night or give me nightmares. You're gone." I put the box back inside and covered it with the wood before I threw the necklace on the small cabinet.

"Julia?" Kai yawns.

"Yes?"

"Are you going to go downstairs?"

I smile, "Nope. I'm staying up here with you."

Kai smiles widely, "Yay." He moves over to make space for me. Together, we fell asleep on the small bed.

Sunday arrived and went back in a blink of an eye.

Soon, I found myself packing up for school. After I finished, I went down to Kai's level. "Remember our rules."

"Do not go down the attic if I don't hear you call me," he says.

"And?"

"If someone goes up the attic, that's not you or Mark. Hide." If my parents somehow found the attic, which I highly doubt, I can always tell them I found it and made it into my secret hiding spot.

"Finally?"

"Make as little sound as possible." He placed a finger on his lips and made a shushing noise.

"Julia!" Mom screams from downstairs, "Brenda and Brian are here!"

"Got it!"

"I have a new rule," I said. "If you feel unsafe up there, you can leave, okay?"

"Unsafe?"

"Like if there's a sudden fire or emergency. I want you to get out. Don't worry about anyone else in the house-" sorry mom and dad, "get out."

He nods, "Okay. Get out."

"Alright." I run my thumb across his plump cheek, "I'll see you when I get back from school. Okay? We'll make plans to go to the park and play laser tag."

Kai hugs me, "Have a good day at school!" He rushes up the stairs. Then, he pokes his head out and waves at me. I return the wave before I push the stairs up. Attached to the string is a layer of Christmas lights that strings around the room. I'm so good at hiding secrets; it almost scares me.

Once I grabbed my backpack and headed downstairs, Brenda and Brian were at the breakfast table with my parents. The four of them had their eyes on the news. On the big screen was a picture of Kai.

"Poor kid," mom says. "First, he lost his parents. Then, he was forced to shift at a young age." She shakes her head.

"What do you guys think they will do once they find the kid?" Brenda asks. Brenda waves at me. I smile back and grab a banana.

"Probably strap him to a metal table." Brian takes a bite of the sliced apple.

"Brian!" Mom gave him a stern look. My parents knew Brenda, Brian, and Eric since they were kids, so they're practically their secondary parents. "They're probably going to give them back to their guardians."

"Come on, Mrs.Elias." Brian leans back, "Not every day you run into a werewolf that shifts when they're that young. I bet all of my allowances that those guardians are going to sell him to the scientists. Sad that their nephew disappeared? Please. They're in it for the money."

Right on the dot.

"Maybe, they do care," Brenda says. "I mean, his aunt is his mom's sister. They're family. Family cares."

"I call them as I see them. And to me," Brian looks at the news with Kai's aunt and uncle, "they're bullshit."

Dad clears his throat.

"Sorry, Mr.Elias."

"Hey, you. Ready to go?"

I swallow the last piece of banana and nod, "Yup. Let's go."

The rumor storm at school is as expected. Everyone is either talking about their Thanksgiving or Kai. And the longer I listen to them, the more unsettled I get.

"I'm telling you if I find the kid. I'll stab him. Werewolf? I'm not afraid."

I should somehow get Kai a cell phone so that I can reach him.

"Should we do it? Should we gather a group and hunt for him? I mean, he's only a kid. We can take him."

Soon, we saw Eric, who told us about his dulled Thanksgiving. Most of his relatives are either much older or younger than him.

"Should we do it?" Brian question. "Hunt for the wolf?"

Brenda smacks his head, "Don't be stupid like everyone else. He's a kid. He's probably lonely and afraid right now."

Brian scowled, but he didn't rebuttal. He knows Brenda is right. In the end, Kai is a child. How can they even talk about killing a child?

I'll admit, my affection for Kai had grown the last few days.

Who wouldn't?

When I hear motorcycle engines, I turn my head to see a group of them rolling in. Inside the group, there was a very familiar man. He had an oversized black sweater on and casual blue jeans with old shoes. I watch as he gets off his motorcycle and takes off his helmet. His eyes flicker towards me, and the unsettling heartbeats arrive.

"Hey." Brenda leaned in towards me, "Do you think Mark found his mate yet?"

"Isn't it obvious?" Brian snorts, "Of course he did."

How in the world does Brian manage to be so right today?